Avanti Bra

AvantiR1

Does anyone here know where i can purchase a bra for an Avanti? I called Nostalgic and they don't sell them anymore. I'm going on a 500+ mile trip to Bristol Tennessee for a Studebaker car show and want to put one on for the trip down there to protect the front end from paint chips. Also, if anyone has any experience with them, how hard is installation?

I've seen two different designs (round and square headlight type) with two different methods of installation. I've owned each and still have one for my '70. One is definitely easier to install than the other. I don't know who originally made and sold each...the one from years ago wasn't that good a design...the top edge would flap in the wind and beat against the paint ahead of the hood line. I had to run bungie cords through it and attach them under the hood to keep that from happening.

The one I have now is a better design...goes on fast and doesn't flap in the wind. Again, I have no idea who manufactured it...I bought it several years ago off Ebay.

You might try Studebaker International...I believe they used to sell them. Maybe they might have one or two still still floating around or possibly a good used one. There's other vendors as well to try.

Maybe someone here might have one to sell. If nothing else, maybe a good upholstery shop can fabricate one for you.

Phantom Studebaker recently started offering bra's for the 87-89 and 2005-2007 Avantis. You might contact them to see if they have a pattern for the chrome-bumpered cars. www.phantomstudebakers.com . I got one for my wife's 06 and it's of good design and quality.

Jeff

I've seen two different designs (round and square headlight type) with two different methods of installation. I've owned each and still have one for my '70. One is definitely easier to install than the other. I don't know who originally made and sold each...the one from years ago wasn't that good a design...the top edge would flap in the wind and beat against the paint ahead of the hood line. I had to run bungie cords through it and attach them under the hood to keep that from happening.

The one I have now is a better design...goes on fast and doesn't flap in the wind. Again, I have no idea who manufactured it...I bought it several years ago off Ebay.

You might try Studebaker International...I believe they used to sell them. Maybe they might have one or two still still floating around or possibly a good used one. There's other vendors as well to try.

Maybe someone here might have one to sell. If nothing else, maybe a good upholstery shop can fabricate one for you.

John Seaton has the 3M film on the front of his 2001 - professionally installed - and it looks great ( as seen in South Bend last summer)! You truly can't tell it's there from a distance. I read somewhere, though, that it can't be easily removed once applied - not that that is a concern. The installed price is more than a removable bra, but less than a paint job ...

http://sandiegoautoclearbra.com/?gclid=CMS...CFScuagodHhZijA

Since I can't figure out how to place a link on this BB, you may have to just copy & paste this link. It is what I'm planning to do when my Avanti's exit the shop.

I have the 3M invisible bra on my '02. It's very difficult to see unless you're right up on the car. It is easy to remove...just peels off, but why would you? It's difficult to install properly...very time consuming to do it right. Since there's no pattern available for an Avanti, the installer had to custom cut it, fit it and heat it before actually applying it, then make sure there were no air bubbles.

It took about 4-5 hours to do it right.

Does anyone here know where i can purchase a bra for an Avanti? I called Nostalgic and they don't sell them anymore. I'm going on a 500+ mile trip to Bristol Tennessee for a Studebaker car show and want to put one on for the trip down there to protect the front end from paint chips. Also, if anyone has any experience with them, how hard is installation?

100_2507.jpg

100_2508.jpg

Is this what you need Avanti R1? And or how soon?Just kind of layed it in place. But I can strap in down and take more pictures of the mounting points.

Karl

Edited by Twnchgr

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I don't need it for the Bristol Studebaker show that I talked about before, because I'm going to take my 1977 Avanti instead of my 1981 but I'd like to have one by the Lancaster Studebaker Meet in August, since I'm taking the 81 to that. Where did you get that one?

Paul

I can not help with you search, but I have a request. While having my 73 shipped from Ft Laudedale to NJ, the transport vehicle got into an accident, well, my 73 is totalled. very sad and a great financial loss. I am looking for a 66 through 77 avanti II, if you see any, would you please contact me.

Mark 917 714 8584 cell

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I don't need it for the Bristol Studebaker show that I talked about before, because I'm going to take my 1977 Avanti instead of my 1981 but I'd like to have one by the Lancaster Studebaker Meet in August, since I'm taking the 81 to that. Where did you get that one?

Paul

I dont remember. :unsure: But you can use it, See if it will work for you .Just pluged in new computer so my e-mails not working till tomorrow. to get and address.. I should be home about 3:00 PST

Karl

Edited by Twnchgr

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Karl, I sent you an e-mail. Do you want to sell your bra?

Hi Paul ,

Sent you a couple of more pictures. But not sure they got sent? No you dont have to take any thing off. The Bra has straps for everything that goes around something. It is a very well thought out unit.

100_2523.jpg

100_2522.jpg

Edited by Twnchgr

I have one of those around here for a round headlight Avanti. The plastic for

the headlights are yellowed though. Was in the trunk of my Avanti when I got

it years ago. I think its in the attic now.

Tom

No you dont have to take any thing off. The Bra has straps for everything that goes around something.