Specifications for Avanti, by year

WayneC

15 minutes ago, WayneC said:

I came across this website in a search today, it gives a lot of useful info on Avanti's. like which engines were used in which years, fuel consumption, etc.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/list-avanti.html

There is so much in error there that I wouldn't believe or rely on most of it.  For examples; they list 2007 and neglect 2001-2006, they list 1986 when no Avantis were built, they have incorrect models for 1990-1991.  

Studegary, why not help them correct it by giving them feedback that corrects the errors you found?

email them at:  ask(at)automobile-catalog.com

...or perhaps you know of a better source to get this sort of information by model year; if so, can you recommend a link?

Edited by WayneC

The best source for such information is probably right here on the AOAI Forum and God knows we make enough errors.  Avanti Motors, while they certainly built a good and unique product did many things in an unrecorded way...or at least many records that might have pertinent information have thus far escaped discovery.  A lot of information out there is presumption and verbal, having been told so many times it may have little to do with its origins.

I agree, in principle, but good luck finding it, and why start a new thread each time a newbie asks for basic info? I recently had a friend who expressed an interest in Avanti's ask me what engines (cubic inches & HP) came in the various years of Avanti II, since he figured that might narrow down his search. I didn't know the answer, despite the fact that I've owned a half-dozen Avanti's of various years over my lifetime (the memories fade in my old age).

Wouldn't it be nice if the specs (incl options) for all Avanti II years were available in a format such as the website I posted above? So why not check that website over for accuracy and if you find basic information there that you are certain is faulty, notify the website so that it can be corrected. My guess is that if we polled the members of this website, we'd get a lot of conflicting "correct" info.

The only valid info I'm aware of is the original order/build sheets, and even they are not definitive; for example, an '80 I owned specified a 350ci Chevy engine with HEI ignition and a GM Turbo-Hydramatic transmission (see below, the only build sheet I remember getting with any of my Avanti's). No horsepower/torque (or curb weight) given. I once owned a 1989 model (bought used) but didn't retain what little paperwork I had on that car. A collection of order sheets from each model year would be a good source of information, and that's something we could probably put together here on this website.

Anyone know if the Avanti magazine has ever published a list of Avanti II specs by year?

Actually, it just occurred to me that the book "Avanti" by Thomas Bonsell may have good info, but my copy is an early edition with limited info, having been published in 1979; Amazon currently lists 6 used copies of "Avanti" at reasonable prices and 1 new copy at an outrageous price ($860); but it's not clear which editions these are. There is also a listing on eBay for a late edition. The later years (after 1978) remain the years we have the least information about.

1980 Avanti build sheet, sample.jpg

Edited by WayneC

The problem with a year by year breakdown is there's not a lot of consistency with Avanti II cars.  Avanti Motors would buy something like a six month supply of engines to get a quantity discount.  That means an Avanti built in one year might have an engine built the prior year to a different set of horsepower and torque ratings...different from what a spec sheet might say.  There was also possibly no guarantee or even any intention of pulling an engine from inventory in any order related to when it was received like a grocery store wanting to keep items properly rotated.  It was also not unknown for Avanti Motors to retitle an unsold car from a previous year to a later year.