remote starter switch hook up

jeffdgale

As advised in a previous thread, I was about to go do a compression test on my '74 Avanti II with the 400 C.I. SBC. It was then that I relized I had no idea where and how to hook up the two wires from the remote starter switch. I've done this before on Fords and it' real easy but not so obvious on the SBC. Please help and thanks in advance.

The solenoid is mounted on the starter itself, not on the fenderwell like a Ford. You're gonna have to crawl underneath to access the post to hook it up if you can't find room to reach down from above.

The solenoid is mounted on the starter itself, not on the fenderwell like a Ford. You're gonna have to crawl underneath to access the post to hook it up if you can't find room to reach down from above.

Thanks, do you know which post I connect between?

The remote starter should have two wired clips...one goes to the large terminal that the battery cable is connected to, and the other wire is clipped to the small terminal marked "S" (starter). You don't want the small terminal marked "R" (resistor).

There are remote solenoid kits sold for GM starters...many with GM chassis motorhomes install them, but it's not necessary unless you want to.

Edited by Gunslinger

The remote starter should have two wired clips...one goes to the large terminal that the battery cable is connected to, and the other wire is clipped to the small terminal marked "S" (starter). You don't want the small terminal marked "R" (resistor).

There are remote solenoid kits sold for GM starters...many with GM chassis motorhomes install them, but it's not necessary unless you want to.

Actually, my '66 Avanti II had a factory connector in the wiring that goes to the starter, and it may be easier to connect at that point rather than crawl under the car. The wires exit the main harness just forward of the passenger side hood latch catch, and the connector is probably near or beneath the windshield washer fluid bag (if you have one)... mine had a 3-wire flat rubberized connector just a few inches below the main harness. Once while on a long trip, I had an ignition switch failure (starter position only), that prevented me from starting the car; I turned the ignition switch to "on", then separated the connector halves just slightly and used a pocket knife blade to short across two of the terminals in the connector to start the car during the rest of the trip. I can't tell you which 2 of the 3 wires to connect to the remote starter switch, but a little experimentation should yield the answer.

If you want to make this solution elegant, you may be able to find a pair of the same type 3-wire trailer-style connectors at your local auto supply store, joined together by 3 wires, so you only need to cut the two pertinent wires and splice your remote switch wires to the cut wires... now when you want to use the remote starter, you just uncouple the factory connectors and plug your new connectors into them.

Edited by WayneC