Fan Shroud Interference

adamsavanti

Again soliciting your collective expertise. Years ago pulled engine & stripped engine compartment for painting. Am sure I bought new correct Avanti motor mounts. When reassembled the car, fan “lightly” hit the shroud. Couldn’t figure out why so shimmed up the shroud by adding 1/2” center nut/washer under shroud and less to R & L sides to raise it till fan didn’t hit. Worked fine with no pad hood on, BUT I just installed a hood pad. NOW pad pushes on shroud, causing it to thwack the fan again. ALSO see the imprint of the radiator cap and air cleaner hose clamp. All of which leads me to believe the engine is sitting too high off the frame.

Ideas? Anyone have a measurement of the compressed motor mounts? I thought about putting the original motor mounts on but long ago threw one away because it was broken.

What have I missed or done wrong?

You could try Avanti R3 type front engine insulators....they are about 1/2" thinner than the stock ones.

If you try this, pay attention to the clearance between the crankshaft pulleys and the bellcrank....a concern only if your Avanti has power steering!

For the R3 insulators call my pal  Dave Thibeault.....Tel# 978-897-3158

Thank you Rob and mfg. I figured out with a flashlight, ruler and the internet that I have "standard" size mounts. Ordered the shorter ones yesterday. Got to crawl under the car and see what I put under the left rear mount some time ago.

The tip about clearance between crankshaft pulleys and bellcrank is appreciated, as I do have power steering.

Dennis

I'm writing this in case anyone else in the future has an interference problem between the engine and hood etc. Today I got out "What the Shop Manual Won't Tell You" by Stan Gundry, an interesting book from 1999! He talks about this very issue of Avanti motor mounts, modifying them, or using the thinner R-3 mounts, and the possible interference with the bellcrank and how to solve this problem. If anyone ever needs this I'll scan the two pages and send them or post them.

Dennis