Avanti 63R1457!

mfg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brad said:

rain gutters?

I see that you put a line through your response.  Roof drip moldings started with R-4420.   Of course, there was a kit to install them on earlier cars. 

On 9/13/2019 at 5:23 PM, mfg said:

What new item became optional on Studebaker Avantis beginning with serial number 63R-1457?

Item 331 -  Exhaust system with resonators.

I forgot that MFG ignores my posts and will not see this.

Edited by Regnalbob
Added comment

6 hours ago, r1lark said:

YEP!....you are CORRECT here Paul!:)....The Studebaker Avanti 'Quiet Tone Muffler System'  entered production at this serial number!

WELL DONE!:D

14 hours ago, mfg said:

YEP!....you are CORRECT here Paul!:)....The Studebaker Avanti 'Quiet Tone Muffler System'  entered production at this serial number!

From the Avanti Production Data by the Studebaker National Museum.

"First" Avantis

Research by George Krem

63R-1428     First Avanti with quiet exhaust system

15 hours ago, mfg said:

Not to take away from Paul's knowledge, but I hope that you realize that Paul was simply quoting Regnalbob's correct response.

20 hours ago, studegary said:

Not to take away from Paul's knowledge, but I hope that you realize that Paul was simply quoting Regnalbob's correct response.

Paul usually comes up with the answers to the 'tough ones' Gary, as he indeed did in this case!

I can only reply to responses which I see, however, if you do doubt Paul's answer, I suggest that you look up STUDEBAKER SERVICE LETTER # M-1963-1, dated 2/11/63.

That service letter CLEARLY states the Avanti Quiet Tone Muffler System entered production with car serial # 63R-1457.

There simply is no other CORRECT answer!.........Ed:)

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Paul usually comes up with the answers to the 'tough ones' Gary, as he indeed did in this case!

I can only reply to responses which I see, however, if you do doubt Paul's answer, I suggest that you look up STUDEBAKER SERVICE LETTER # M-1963-1, dated 2/11/63.

That service letter CLEARLY states the Avanti Quiet Tone Muffler System entered production with car serial # 63R-1457.

There simply is no other CORRECT answer!.........Ed:)

I am NOT saying that the answer that Paul posted is incorrect.  I am merely pointing out that Paul reposted an answer that you chose not to see.  I believe that Paul will agree that he did not come up with the answer and he did not try to indicate that he did.  

19 hours ago, studegary said:

I am NOT saying that the answer that Paul posted is incorrect.  I am merely pointing out that Paul reposted an answer that you chose not to see.  I believe that Paul will agree that he did not come up with the answer and he did not try to indicate that he did.  

Gary, I temporarily took Regnalbob off 'ignore' to verify what you're saying.:huh:

In his post, Regnalbob thought the answer was 63R-1428......He is incorrect.:(

The CORRECT answer, one last time, is 63R-1457 :)

Edited by mfg
Took out my assumption of Gary having eye problem.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, Regnalbob said:

For studegary's benefit, I'm reposting Regnalbob's incorrect answer to this trivia question.....I will now return Regnalbob to his 'ignored user' status.......Ed

Edited by mfg
Regnalbob's status change

Gary is right, I just hit the 'quote' button on Regnalbob's post, he is the one who had the correct answer.  I know, Ed, that you have him blocked but the more folks that can join in here the more fun it is . I meant no offense at all to you Ed.

Sorry that I could not chime in earlier but we have been vacationing in the wilds of New Mexico for a week with little to no phone/internet signal. :)

21 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Gary is right, I just hit the 'quote' button on Regnalbob's post, he is the one who had the correct answer.  I know, Ed, that you have him blocked but the more folks that can join in here the more fun it is . I meant no offense at all to you Ed.

Sorry that I could not chime in earlier but we have been vacationing in the wilds of New Mexico for a week with little to no phone/internet signal. :)

Hope you had a great VACA!:D......Paul, why then did Regnalbob post 63R-1428 as the answer if he meant 63R-1457?:huh:.....Frankly, I just don't understand that guy!!:(

17 minutes ago, mfg said:

.Paul, why then did Regnalbob post 63R-1428 as the answer if he meant 63R-1457?:huh:.....Frankly, I just don't understand that guy!!:(

20 hours ago, mfg said:

Gary, I temporarily took Regnalbob off 'ignore' to verify what you're saying.:huh:

In his post, Regnalbob thought the answer was 63R-1428......He is incorrect.:(

The CORRECT answer, one last time, is 63R-1457 :)

On 10/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, Regnalbob said:

From the Avanti Production Data by the Studebaker National Museum.

"First" Avantis

Research by George Krem

After posting my original answer I found that 63R-1428 was the first Avanti with the quiet exhaust and not 63R-1457.

The Production Order is the only way to determine how an Avanti was equipped when it was built.

George Krem with help from others researched the factory production orders of all 1963 and 1964 Avantis.

All of this data is published in the monograph from the Studebaker Museum.

They found that 63R-2814 was the first Avanti built with the quiet exhaust system and is included in the list of  "First" Avantis

Studebaker made changes to the rear exhaust pipes and started using an equalizer or H pipe instead of the straight pipe.

Both systems used these new pipes.

For the quiet tone mufflers they were used after 63R-1457.

For the fiber glass mufflers it was after 63R-1753.

38 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

After posting my original answer I found that 63R-1428 was the first Avanti with the quiet exhaust and not 63R-1457.

The Production Order is the only way to determine how an Avanti was equipped when it was built.

George Krem with help from others researched the factory production orders of all 1963 and 1964 Avantis.

All of this data is published in the monograph from the Studebaker Museum.

They found that 63R-2814 was the first Avanti built with the quiet exhaust system and is included in the list of  "First" Avantis

Studebaker made changes to the rear exhaust pipes and started using an equalizer or H pipe instead of the straight pipe.

Both systems used these new pipes.

For the quiet tone mufflers they were used after 63R-1457.

For the fiber glass mufflers it was after 63R-1753.

Ed, after Regnalbob posted his original answer that I quoted, it looks like he dug into some other sources (see his response less than an hour ago quoted above) and found some additional interesting information.

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

Ed, after Regnalbob posted his original answer that I quoted, it looks like he dug into some other sources (see his response less than an hour ago quoted above) and found some additional interesting information.

Thanks for re-posting this info Paul......I feel though, that next time Mr. Krem be contacted for permission prior to using his name and thoughts.:huh:

Moving on,  if one re-reads this Avanti Trivia question, it's not asking about FIRSTS!....The question asks: ...... "What new item became optional on Studebaker Avantis beginning with serial number 63R-1457?"

The ANSWER to this trivia question is...........THE QUIET TONE MUFFLER SYSTEM!:o

It's completely IRRELEVANT if Studebaker fitted prototype quiet tone muffler systems to an Avanti or two having serial numbers earlier than 63R-1457!....THAT SIMPLY WASN'T THE QUESTION!:)

Edited by mfg
spelling

10 hours ago, mfg said:

Thanks for re-posting this info Paul......I feel though, that next time Mr. Krem be contacted for permission prior to using his name and thoughts.:huh:

Moving on,  if one re-reads this Avanti Trivia question, it's not asking about FIRSTS!....The question asks: ...... "What new item became optional on Studebaker Avantis beginning with serial number 63R-1457?"

The ANSWER to this trivia question is...........THE QUIET TONE MUFFLER SYSTEM!:o

It's completely IRRELEVANT if Studebaker fitted prototype quiet tone muffler systems to an Avanti or two having serial numbers earlier than 63R-1457!....THAT SIMPLY WASN'T THE QUESTION!:)

I do not see why Regnalbob would have to contact George Krem first.  Regnalbob was quoting from the Avanti monograph publicly available from the SNM.  George Krem was largely responsible for the document, but it is a SNM document.  This makes me wonder why George Krem does not participate on this AOAI Forum (as far as my recollection).

Regnalbob's original response was;"Item 331 -  Exhaust system with resonators. "  He got into the Serial Numbers later.