'89 Avanti Conver on e-Bay

Ernie

That steering wheel came on many later Avanti's, maybe it was even standard. And I agree with you...it is strange looking.

Is it ME? Or is everything BACKWARDS in the engine compartment (hood strut, alternator, air cleaner snoot, etc.). The battery IS in the right place!

Bill D

That's essentially a rebodied Chevrolet so everything would be as it would in a Caprice, Monte Carlo or whatever chassis was used. That serpentine belt system makes for a different accessory layout. The Avanti body contours and panels were, by necessity, adapted to the chassis, not engineered to be an Avanti with a traditional Avanti layout of everything.

That's essentially a rebodied Chevrolet so everything would be as it would in a Caprice, Monte Carlo or whatever chassis was used. That serpentine belt system makes for a different accessory layout. The Avanti body contours and panels were, by necessity, adapted to the chassis, not engineered to be an Avanti with a traditional Avanti layout of everything.

Everything looks correct to me on the 89 Conv. That steering wheel was used on later

Conv's and four doors and some 89 coupes and Conv. What makes it look different is

that is actually a cover over the bars in the wheel and it can be taken off.

Thats true, that the 89 Avanti was the first Avanti with built in ground effects to

hide the Caprice frame. Its just amatter of opinion but I think it looks better that

the 63 to 85 cars.

Max

• 2 months later...

Will Max Starky got it all right on the 89 Conv. This car was re-listed on E Bay and I picked it up for under 14. I dont know if you read the listing but the suspension is new and has been upgrated with big Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, Edelbrock trailing arms and KYB shocks . Remember this car has coils in the rear and it drives like it is glued to the road, Wow we were shocked ,to bad it only has the 305 eng. I think the owner before this was planning on swaping out the engine and trans. This car was located near Denver, CO and my son and I flew in from Fla and NYC. We decided to drive back to Traverse City, Mich after putting about a 150 miles on around Denver. We changed the oil and filter put in a new air filter , surp belt and fliped over the top of the air cleaner, re conected everthing so no engine light. We noticed a few things before getting under way on our 1550 mile run, the GPS showed the speedo was fast 12 to 15 mph and we figured at 2600 rpm we were running about 75 mph not bad. Later we were told the rear end was changed with a new ratio posi. After each tank of fuel 89 to 91 octane it just kept running better and better. We made it to our summer home on Lake Mich with no problems I flew back to fla and my son to NYC. Before we left I tried a couple of hole shots and it pinned us back in our seats for a short time to maybe 50 not bad for a 305 we got to love this car. Buy the way, back in the fall 0f 1964 I purchased a new Avanti R2 4 speed in Detroit, Mich and to this day regreat selling it and buying a 1965 Olds 442 Conv automatic a year later.

Ernie your car really catches my attention with the rear end, trans, and engine. When I get back to Michigan in June where the car is I would like to talk to you. I just have one question , what does your tach show at 75 mph by a GPS or by spedo if you have the correct gear in the trans.

Thanks

Rich