'88 Vent Air-INLET?

wdaly

For as long as I have owned this car (1988) the vent air is HOT in the summer and I actually use it to WARM the vehicle in the Winter. Now I am getting the smell of antifreeze thru the vents BUT only AFTER the temp. reaches 160 degrees. I don't think it's the heater core (hope not) no leakage. Cannot find any leaks under the hood, but the vapor seems to be drawn in from the outside - SO where is the AIR INTAKE for the heater core box?

Bill D

For as long as I have owned this car (1988) the vent air is HOT in the summer and I actually use it to WARM the vehicle in the Winter. Now I am getting the smell of antifreeze thru the vents BUT only AFTER the temp. reaches 160 degrees. I don't think it's the heater core (hope not) no leakage. Cannot find any leaks under the hood, but the vapor seems to be drawn in from the outside - SO where is the AIR INTAKE for the heater core box?

Bill D

It is located in the passenger side fender well. you will need to remove the plastic liner thing they hve . belive its held in plce with four screws. there should be a opening about four inches in dia.covered by a wire screen.I used some dryer duct to increase the fresh air. still working on a inlet piece. for now I have stuck in my fog lite opening. this was a great improvement in air flow in the car! It also removed the engine smells. Hope this helps. I have a LSC

100_2488_00.jpg

DUCTING.jpg

It is located in the passenger side fender well. you will need to remove the plastic liner thing they hve . belive its held in plce with four screws. there should be a opening about four inches in dia.covered by a wire screen.I used some dryer duct to increase the fresh air. still working on a inlet piece. for now I have stuck in my fog lite opening. this was a great improvement in air flow in the car! It also removed the engine smells. Hope this helps. I have a LSC

100_2488_00.jpg

DUCTING.jpg

Thanks Twnchgr! I wish I knew this about 19 years ago! As soon as it warms up a bit more (Wisconsin) I'll be making the long needed change - Great pictures!

Bill D