RQB3921 Engine change

Charlie Kile

These ar the photos of the engine going into RQB3921. I had read thet the clearance for the TPI would be a problem and some had gone to the Edelbrock system because of it.

However the top of the TPI is actually 1" lower than the air cleaner that was on it.

CharlieRQB3921

I have the Edelbrock EFI in my '70 and it took some custom machining to be able to use the air cleaner I wanted so it would clear. I could have gone other routes for an air cleaner, and would have if the custom shop was unable to do as they did.

I would think TPI would clear the hood, but an air cleaner may have to be custom fabricated, but parts for doing so are pretty available. Look at the custom speed section of stores like Pep Boys and catalogs like Summit Racing, Jegs, Speedway Motors and the like. Due to the contours of an Avanti hood I think you'd be very lucky to find an air cleaner assembly from another car that would drop in.

When I was looking for possible alternatives for an air cleaner for my car if my preferred system wouldn't work, I found there was lots of mix and match type parts out there and something could have worked. I realize TPI uses and completely different plenum and throttle body design than than the Edelbrock carburetor style throttle body, you should be able to come up with something.

Besides stores like Pep Boys and sites like Summit Racing, look at manufacturers like K&N, S&B and others. They have a huge selection of air filter configurations.

They are using an electric fan, that along with the serpentine belt set up, freed up enough room to mount the air cleaner on the right fender where the origonal air intake was located.

I have tried to post photos but my attempts have been unsuccusfull. Is there some kind of trick to it?

Charlie RQS3921