Location of Factory R3 Avantis

Herb Price

I know where four of the nine R3 Avantis are; R5089 is in Joilet, R5237 and 5593 are in Ohio with an AOAI member and R5643 is in a museum in Ohio. That leaves R5394, R5532, R5546 (George Krem's old gold Avanti), R5625 and R5642. The last R3 listed, R5642 was originally shipped to Moline IL. (Gee, that one could be in a barn close to me waiting to be found!) R5642 is white and some say Geo Krem owned it at one time also.

Can any of you give me the location the the five R3 Avantis I have not accounted for?

There is a complete listing of all R3-R4 cars on the roster prepared by John Shanahan.

R5394 is in Akron , Ohio

R 5532 IS unknown whereabouts, probably the Avanti running

around L.A. with the engine transplanted into a 1964 convertible

and a regular 289 installed.

R 5546 is in Doraville GA.

R 5642 is in Toronto but rumored sold.

R 5625 is in Wixom MI.

R.Kapteyn , Joliet Ill. R5089.

Avanti R3 5642 was indeed in Toronto and was the #8 of the nine total R3 factory cars.

It was owned by Dick Marty in Toronto and was featured in Avanti Magazine Issue 122, the Spring/Summer issue of 2003. I do not know if it was sold, but I don't think so.

According to the 2003 Avanti Magazine article, this Avanti's first owner was an Ohio Studebaker dealer, George Krem owned it second, followed by it's current owner in Toronto.

Lew

• 13 years later...
On 12/27/2007 at 9:23 AM, lschuc said:

Avanti R3 5642 was indeed in Toronto and was the #8 of the nine total R3 factory cars.

It was owned by Dick Marty in Toronto and was featured in Avanti Magazine Issue 122, the Spring/Summer issue of 2003. I do not know if it was sold, but I don't think so.

According to the 2003 Avanti Magazine article, this Avanti's first owner was an Ohio Studebaker dealer, George Krem owned it second, followed by it's current owner in Toronto.

Lew

Actually, the Avanti R3 5642 was originally owned by Leo Linnabary in Moline IL, my grandfather.  He traded the R3 for another Avanti and Daytona to George Krem.  In fact, my grandfather gave me the Daytona when I earned my drivers license.  

Jim Linnabary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I sold R5089 to Randy Rapp in southern Illinois.He did a fantastic job on restoring this car and did show it at the Muscle Car show in Rosemont Illinois a few years ago.

Robert Kapteyn