Fiberglass repair

IndyJimW

Can anyone recommend any good books, products etc. on fiberglass body repair?

Is there products to stay away from that may not be compatible with the fiberglass used in my '87 Avanti?

I have a crack I need to repair in the front fender and a hole at the drivers door sill where the fiberglass is thin. Also is there a metal support around the rear window that moisture can rust causing the fiberglas to pop up between the rear window glass lower corner and the trunk?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Jim Wood

Is there products to stay away from that may not be compatible with the fiberglass used in my '87 Avanti?

I have a crack I need to repair in the front fender and a hole at the drivers door sill where the fiberglass is thin. Also is there a metal support around the rear window that moisture can rust causing the fiberglas to pop up between the rear window glass lower corner and the trunk?

Jim Wood

Jim,

A boat shop or auto paint supply. Will have most every thing you will need. Have fun. :)

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Wood

Jim, I know basically nothing about fiberglass but somewhere I read about the company Fibre Glast. I have talked to these people and they seemed very knowledgeable. I ordered some material but haven't had a chance to try it yet. You should find some good stuff on their web site www.fibreglast.com or you can talk to them at 800-330-6368. Hope this helps.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Wood

As long as you use a 2 part epoxy resin, there shouldn't be any problem. You can use Drywall fiberglass tape as a reinforcement for any hole. Any crack would have to be end drilled to make sure it 'stops'. Refinishing using a 2K primer, then a sanding primer, urethane coatings.