Due Cento Bonneville Avanti

r5duecento

I am in the process of restoring the Due Cento Granatelli Avanti. Although I have alot of factory information and a few pictures and magazine articles, I would like to know if anyone has any pictures of this car. These may be something that I do not have and would greatly help to make sure the car is done accurately. I believe I have all of the paint and lettering information except for the gold leaf stripe on the top of the fenders. My pictures and magazine articles do not show how it terminates on the end toward the windshield. If anyone has anything, it would be very helpful. Thanks, Dick Bennett

Dick,

I was just looking thru all my old Avanti literature and saw your articles on the R5 back in the early 70's issue. Glad to hear you still have the car. I don't think I have anything that you don't already have but I am interested in pictures you said you have. Was the R5 as raced red? I seem to recall that Greg Cone of Virginia had put together a number of the engine parts. Do you have the video of the late 63 Bonneville runs that the R5 first raced at? I thing there was an 8 MM film of that event, with the other Studes also. It may have nbeen called 'Chasing the Wind" Good luck with your project and post some pictures if you get a chance.

• 6 months later...
Dick,

I was just looking thru all my old Avanti literature and saw your articles on the R5 back in the early 70's issue. Glad to hear you still have the car. I don't think I have anything that you don't already have but I am interested in pictures you said you have. Was the R5 as raced red? I seem to recall that Greg Cone of Virginia had put together a number of the engine parts. Do you have the video of the late 63 Bonneville runs that the R5 first raced at? I thing there was an 8 MM film of that event, with the other Studes also. It may have nbeen called 'Chasing the Wind" Good luck with your project and post some pictures if you get a chance.

Somehow I missed your reply. Thank you for replying. Sorry I am so long in getting back to you.

Yes the car was painted red when modified to the R5 Due Cento. I know Greg Cone and he does have some of the induction parts. I do not have any of the films that were taken in 1963 when the car ran as the R5 although I know several were taken, but I have not been able to locate anything on them. Hopefully somebody has something and will contact me. I do of course have the 62 film The Bonneville Record Breaker, which is the same car before it was modified to the R5 Due Cento, although most of the film is a dubbed in Avanti. I also have a copy of "Chasing the Wind" which has several shots of the Avantis.

Thanks for your interest and response.

Dick Bennett rabennett3@hotmail.com