4-Speed in Avanti II

Luma

I have been collecting parts to convert an early Avanti II (RQA with 327) to a 4 speed and need some help in a few areas. I'm not sure how the transmission mounts to the rear cross member and I need a bracket that mounts with the steering box bolts that supports the clutch Z bar at the frame side. I would like to hear from anyone with a manual shift Avanti and would also be interested in 5 and 6 speed conversions. Thanks for your time.

We had a Tremec T56 installed in a late Altman Avanti. Pedal assembly with clutch was purchased from Myer Studebaker. I believe that Mike Myer has all the parts needed for a mechanical clutch linkage set up.

Here is a pic of the transmission crossmember:

AvantiT56CrossMember2.jpg

What kind of questions did you have about overdrive transmissions?

Joe and Judy Menacker

RQB 3496

Can you share details about the swap? How do you like the results? I'm interested in looking at that same swap for a Stude built Avanti. Is your Avanti significantly different from the original?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark:

We had the swap done by local kit car builder. It was fairly straight forward because the later Avantis already have a small block Chevy engine. Any transmission made for a Camaro or Firebird bolts right up.

Talk to Tom (SBCA96) about options for manual transmissions mated to a Studebaker engine. He recently let go a T56 http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1000 in lieu of a TKO unit.

We absolutely love the T56 in our car. Double overdrive is rarely used. If a five speed had been installed, we probably would have been just as happy. One day we may have a taller rear end installed to get a little more use out of double overdrive and a little quicker jump off the line.

Our goal was to have a powerful grand touring car that didn't kill us at the pump. The six speed transmission combined with a spread bore 650 CFM Holley carb provide a barrel of fun when you want it and 25+ mpg on a regular basis.

041606AvantiInterior06Seats.jpg

Joe and Judy Menacker

RQB 3496

Hey!, nice photo! What's the secret for posting photos?

....haven't been able to 'figure out'.

Tnx!

Easiest way to post pics is to open an account with an online photo hosting site. I use Photobucket. Once you have an account pics need to be uploaded to the host site. Then you can click on the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar (looks like a green tree) just above the area where you type when you are posting a message. Copy the "direct link" info from Photobucket into the "Insert Image" dialog box. Click okay and Viola!

081207AvantiFL.jpg

Alternately, the "IMG Code" can be pasted directly into the message body of a post.

Hope this helps,

Joe M

Edited by jmenacker

Joe,

Nice car and great picture of Tranny. Lot of questions answered. I will try to post here a picture of the parts I have put together. Does your car have mechanical or hydraulic clutch? Thanks again, Luma

Joe,

Nice car and great picture of Tranny. Lot of questions answered. I will try to post here a picture of the parts I have put together. Does your car have mechanical or hydraulic clutch? Thanks again, Luma

Ours has a hydraulically operated clutch. The mechanic who did the swap fabricated a one-off linkage between the Studbaker clutch pedal and slave cylinder. Let me know if you'd like a pic.

Joe Menacker

Here are pics of the hydraulic actuated clutch set up.

Avanti-II-Hydraulic-Clutch-Link-Tes.jpg

First try connecting the Studebaker pedal assembly to the slave cylinder. A short rod with an eye at the end was welded to the pedal arm. The threaded slave cylinder push rod went through the eye with nuts/lockwashers on either side of the eye. This proved to be too weak and broke about 100 miles from home! Good old OEM carpet brings back memories . . . :P

Avanti-II-hydraulic-clutch-pedal-1.jpg

Second try was to weld the slave cylinder push rod directly to the pedal arm. This has held up just fine but will certainly complicate replacing the slave cylinder in the future.

Avanti-II-Slave-cylinder.jpg

Slave cylinder mounting on engine side of firewall. Picture taken before engine went in.

Hope this helps,

Joe Menacker

RQB-3496

I have a 1969 Avanti II . I changed the transmission from automatic to a muncie 4-speed. I used a Studebaker Lark pedal assembly and linkage down to the frame. On the frame I mounted a 3/4" Willwood master cylinder connected to the Studebaker linkage. I used a Howe hydraulic throughout bearing. I have a Hurst competion plus modified to come up through the automatic console opening. I used the existing crossmember and transmission mount. I bolted the mount to the tansmission and used a short 1/4" plate to bridge back to the crossmember.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joe, yah Mark ... I am in the process now. Also Dan can help with

finding the manual parts, as his Avanti was an auto.

If you have a Studebaker bellhousing, "Dan Giblin" over on the SDC page

has a kit to install any T-5, TKO/TR-3550 or TKO500/TKO600 trans. I have

bought his kit to install a TKO/TR3550 into my Avanti and sold my T-56 off.

I am doing a install proceedure on SDC, and Dan is working with me on a

few tweaks to make my install easier (since I have a recent clutch).

gibbs_r1@yahoo.com. Price is $279.

My install thread :

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_f...?TOPIC_ID=13734

Dan's original thread :

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_f...?TOPIC_ID=13212

Tom

Mark: Talk to Tom (SBCA96) about options for manual transmissions mated to a Studebaker engine. He recently let go a T56 in lieu of a TKO unit. Hope this helps, Joe M

• 3 weeks later...

I had to change the tube length of the drive shaft. It cost $100.00

I have a 1969 Avanti II . I changed the transmission from automatic to a muncie 4-speed. I used a Studebaker Lark pedal assembly and linkage down to the frame. On the frame I mounted a 3/4" Willwood master cylinder connected to the Studebaker linkage. I used a Howe hydraulic throughout bearing. I have a Hurst competion plus modified to come up through the automatic console opening. I used the existing crossmember and transmission mount. I bolted the mount to the tansmission and used a short 1/4" plate to bridge back to the crossmember.