Jump to content

Bill Hanlon

AOAI Forum Members
  • Posts

    62
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Bill Hanlon

  1. It is easy to train the wife. Make the repair $$ come out of her allowance rather than your car budget. 
     
    But do not listen to me as I am on my fourth wife and a couple $$ in repair is cheaper than a divorce. 
     

    if I had take my own advice I would be on the Ford GT or Maserati site rather than trying to keep my Stude running on the cheap!

  2. You are looking at 1950’s technology. The Avanti II are just a continuation of the technology.  Why? They had left over parts. I come to Avanti’s being a prior Studebaker owner and have been dealing with the same system for years. 

  3. Yes it had a blown 305 when I bought it. Replaced it with a crate 350.  I wish that I had more funds at that time and replaced the 305 with an LS.  Unfortunately I need to go through the controller (wife) to get funds. 
     

    Next couple of years project is to tighten up on the steering and rebuild the front end. 
     
    It still has plenty of get up and go!  

     

     

  4. 7 hours ago, JavierB said:

    Also, if I were to want to remove/replace it, where the heck IS it or what does it look like?  anyone with a photo or drawing of the thing and/or its whereabouts?  My longer term plan is to probably install a remote for the locks, since they are already power locks, and that install will probably include its own alarm anyway.

     

    Mine was under dash around fuse panel. Lots of wires.  Box about 3”x4” 1/2” thick. 

  5. Yes. First I removed as much of the old binding material by slipping sand paper between and I used my Oscillating saw with the below fitting where separation was the largest. Wipe down with mineral spirits.  Apply the epoxy. Then clamp being careful that you are aligning the inner and outer hood.  I let the product cure for over 24 hours.  I did one side at a time.   
      

     

    rockwell 

    Product Image 1

     

  6. I performed this project in the spring of this year. You do the project from the exterior. When bringing up the one side the other started separating. I did it one side at a time and it is now in and does not leak.   

    To prepare the metal edged and  get the old epoxy out I used a oscillating saw with a rasp tool bit  

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWELL-Sonicrafter-Carbide-Oscillating-Tool-Rasp/50188775

    I built a jig out of thin ply wood and glued an old towel to to the bottom  to protect the paint and to spread the compression load from the clamps. See the attached photo. 

    0AFA1130-F8B4-4F92-A9B2-9E6C6EA4F358.jpeg

×
×
  • Create New...