Avanti R1, 4042 Starter

Stormy

Just tried to start my automatic shift Avanti , and starter would not "kick in".  As the key is turned, there is a solid click [not a chatter sound], but the starter does not turn over.  A check of the battery shows it to be fully charged, and a test of trying to start while the headlights are on shows no dimming of the lights during the attempt. 

Are there any easy suggestions to solve this problem ?  In the past there have been no starter issues.  Thank you

Check the voltage from the solenoid to starter connection when someone turns the key. If you have voltage, which I think you will, tap the starter lightly with a small hammer or pipe to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, probably bad starter. 

If no voltage, either bad relay or no voltage to relay. Then check the voltage to the solenoid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thoughts above.  I am not much of a mechanic, so need all of the help I can get.  After thinking about the problem , it must have been either the solenoid or starter, of course.  Since I had strong lights I reasoned there must be power from the battery to the solenoid.  To find out if I had power to the starter, I hooked a jumper cable to the starter side of the solenoid and then touched the other end of the jumper to the positive post on the good battery.  A few sparks, but the starter turned over , and then I immediately disconnected the jumper from the battery.  I guess this told me that the solenoid was not giving power to the starter.  Just for the hell of it, I tried to start the car again.  After trying to start it 3 or 4 times, I only got a fairly solid solenoid click each time, but no starter.  The fifth try  activated the starter.  After running the car a bit I turned it off and tried again.  One click, no starter, then the second try activated the starter.

I had purchased a new solenoid, but wanted to make sure the old one was broken.  I cleaned the starter side terminal on the solenoid and reassembled.  Now the car seems to start on each starting try, so maybe it was a bad connection that needed cleaning.  We live in a semi remote area, so I still don't have complete confidence to take off in the car alone, and hope to get back home, but all ran just fine this afternoon.  I'll keep the new uninstalled solenoid just in case, but with everything seeming to work, I'll not install it now.

Again, thanks for the help, Daryl