Air conditioning 77 Avanti

Steve_avanti

Talk to Dan Booth @ Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Michigan. He will know what's available for your car and will probably have some suggestions. In my 74, I tore out everything and replaced the entire heating/ac system. The good news is generic systems that fit Chevy engines are widely available and pretty easy to install if you are a decent mechanic and can find the room.

Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker installed a Vintage Air kit in the '70 Avanti I recently sold.  He's installed a number of them in Avantis.  I'm not sure if there's a specific kit for Avantis or whether Mike uses components from available kits to work in the Avanti.  It's a complete integrated unit...not separate heating and cooling and works very well.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker installed a Vintage Air kit in the '70 Avanti I recently sold.  He's installed a number of them in Avantis.  I'm not sure if there's a specific kit for Avantis or whether Mike uses components from available kits to work in the Avanti.  It's a complete integrated unit...not separate heating and cooling and works very well.

Bruce, A quick question about the Myer's setup, was he able to use the OEM fresh air intake that is fed from the cowl or did he just install the unit and close off the opening. I'm curious because when I looked at all the units from the aftermarket a few years back, they didn't have a provision for using the OEM opening unless I made a custom one to fit the unit.

I chose to close the opening and make up any air with the vents in the kick panels. Thx, Bob

Bob...

I really can't say...I never thought about it and the car is gone so I can't go look at it.  I know the kit replaced both the heater control valve and heater core as well as the evaporator in the console but where it gets its cold air feed I can't say.  I'm sure Mike can tell you.  Whatever adaptions he made work very well.  

Bruce

6 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Bob...

I really can't say...I never thought about it and the car is gone so I can't go look at it.  I know the kit replaced both the heater control valve and heater core as well as the evaporator in the console but where it gets its cold air feed I can't say.  I'm sure Mike can tell you.  Whatever adaptions he made work very well.  

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I'll run mine as it is and modify if necessary. Bob

Anyone one know if the ac blower motor direction can be changed?  I recently had a new blower motor assembly replaced in my 76.  Mechanic said the motor/assembly was identical to the old unit except the new unit had 4 wires instead of two that the old one had.  He hooked up the high speed wire, blower motor sounds just like the old one did when it was working but doesn't put out squat for air movement.  I was wondering if the motor is running backwards instead of blowing out.  Anyone have any ideas?

3 hours ago, plwindish said:

Anyone one know if the ac blower motor direction can be changed?  I recently had a new blower motor assembly replaced in my 76.  Mechanic said the motor/assembly was identical to the old unit except the new unit had 4 wires instead of two that the old one had.  He hooked up the high speed wire, blower motor sounds just like the old one did when it was working but doesn't put out squat for air movement.  I was wondering if the motor is running backwards instead of blowing out.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds very possible that it's running backwards.  Many DC motors are polarity sensitive.  Can you access the wires and try reversing the wires?