Pertronix Ignitor ii

Stuart Suede

Has anyone installed a Pertronix Ignitor ii in their Avanti R1? I thought I did all the right things per their instructions, such as bypassing the ballast resister, making sure the Accel coil meets the proper resistance, and that there's proper ground from the base plate to the distributor body then to the engine.  I even had the distributor rebuilt so that the shaft doesn't wobble , The car starts easily, has a slight delay from a stop, but what I think is amiss is that there's no engine torque at high acceleration (she has a rebuilt carburetor)

Searching the internet I saw conflicting suggestions, such as gapping the spark plugs to .045" and adjusting the timing from 4 degrees BTDC to 8 degrees.  

At present I have the vacuum advance hose connected.  But this too brings up a question - since the Ignitor ii adjusts the dwell throughout the entire RPM range, and dwell impacts timing, should the vacuum advance be connected?  I specifically asked this question to Pertronix in writing, and their response was yes.

I'd appreciate your ideas and recommendations.  Thanks.

give Dave Thibeault a call, he is a great source of information  978-897-3158

One thought:  could the advance weights be sticking and not advancing the distributor on acceleration? Or maybe the weights or springs could be wrong for the engine?