1963 R2

dagoracing

Hi Guys, I wanted to get some feed back on where to start with this car. I should have the car in my barn inabout 3 weeks. It was my father-in-laws( he passed away 8 yeasr ago). It has been sitting for the past 11 years that I know of. I've only heard it run once(11 years ago). It has been garage kept since it was bought from i believe the second owner in 1972. The car is 63R-Q1082. It should have the supercharger but I haven't been able to find it(bracket is in place). Where should I start? Brakes, Engine,Tires,etc........

I have a few pics with the car cover on. What is the car worth ? I estimate about $5,000. I want to give my mother-in-law a fair price. Thanks for any help.. p.s. I found a new nos supercharger for $1300.00 but no pulley.

$5,000 is fair. A 63 R2 complete, running but needing a total restoration sold on ebay for a little over $7,000 so no supercharger and family you're being more than fair. Start with getting it to a point that it's driveable. If it's a driveable car you can spend a little time with it, decide what you're next step would be and whether you like the car.

Rubber fuel lines should be replaced, old gas drained, brake lines inspected, calipers and wheel cylinders will probably need to be replaced or at least rebuilt. The carb may have a gummy build up from not running and the fuel pump may work for a short time than give up. Belts and water hoses should be replaced along with the obvious oil change and probably a coolant flush and trans service. Basically, anything that's supposed to be flexible or comes in contact with liquids should be refurbished.

Have Fun!

Ernie R2 R5388

Hi Guys, I wanted to get some feed back on where to start with this car. I should have the car in my barn inabout 3 weeks. It was my father-in-laws( he passed away 8 yeasr ago). It has been sitting for the past 11 years that I know of. I've only heard it run once(11 years ago). It has been garage kept since it was bought from i believe the second owner in 1972. The car is 63R-Q1082. It should have the supercharger but I haven't been able to find it(bracket is in place). Where should I start? Brakes, Engine,Tires,etc........

I have a few pics with the car cover on. What is the car worth ? I estimate about $5,000. I want to give my mother-in-law a fair price. Thanks for any help.. p.s. I found a new nos supercharger for $1300.00 but no pulley.

:) I tried to post pics. I'll try again. Thanks for a reply. The car was repainted in 1973-1974, at that time the car had 73,000 miles. It now has 79,000 mile. The interior needs the seats reupolstered and the windsheild wiper switch replaced w/ new bezel , that's it. Its has some kelsey-hayes rims on it, doesn,t look bad but the tires are rotted. I looked breifly at the brakes, looked like the rotors are eaten all the way thru.Email me at dagoracing@comcast.net and i'll send the pics i have.

Here are the pictures sent to my by Shawn.

Looks good .... heck ... looks better than MY Avanti in the engine compartment!

I wish I had a blown Avanti .. looks like a VERY nice starting point from these

pictures you sent. Once you get it outside, send me some of the body. I would

pull all the spark plugs and put some Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder. Then

with the spark plugs still out, turn the engine over by hand, this should help to

lubricate the rings. After you know the engine is free, crank it with the plugs out

to get most of the oil out, then put the plugs back in. Fire it up and run it for a

little while, then pull the plugs and replace them. If the engine already seems

to be free, you can skip putting the Mystery Oil in, just disconnect the coil wire

and crank it for 30 seconds, letting the starter cool for a minute between. This

should build up some oil pressure before starting. If its been sitting for a long

time, chances are the upper end is bone dry.

DSCF2537a.jpg

DSCF2538a.jpg

DSCF2539a.jpg

DSCF2540a.jpg

DSCF2541a.jpg

DSCF2542a.jpg

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks to me like you have a excellent starting point for a really nice Avanti. Here is where I would start if it were me,and this is the advice given to me when I got my Avanti: Buy the Shop Manual and the Parts Book. Mine are reprints purchased through E-Bay. Also,especially in your case, buy What The Shop Manual Won't Tell You by Stan Gundry. Available at his website : www.avantipublishing.com. RD Maxon