Fuel sending unit for an '83

Dayla

Hello, anyone know the proper fuel sending replacement or have n.o.s. for a 1983  with a 305? (And a gasket)  We tried to test it for ohms, unit is electrically open...can't test.  And while i have you here, i am in need of a fuel filler neck hose, pinion seal and shift lever button, and taillights with good reflective material still in tact.  Thanks for your time! 

11 hours ago, Dayla said:

Hello, anyone know the proper fuel sending replacement or have n.o.s. for a 1983  with a 305? (And a gasket)  We tried to test it for ohms, unit is electrically open...can't test.  And while i have you here, i am in need of a fuel filler neck hose, pinion seal and shift lever button, and taillights with good reflective material still in tact.  Thanks for your time! 

Hello!..When I replaced the fuel sender in my own '83 Avanti a few years ago, I used a NOS unit made for a Studebaker Avanti....It fit perfectly and to this day works just fine!

I also replaced the fuel tank inlet hose ( it was cracked) and found the '83 hose WAS NOT the same as the Studebaker version, since when the inlet was changed to accept unleaded fuel only the factory also changed the inlet and outlet diameters of the connector hose (between inlet and fuel tank)

As your Avanti has a Dana '44' rear end, which was used in many vehicles, the pinion seal will be readily available at your local auto parts store......Order one for the FRONT axle of a (four wheel drive) 1980 Dodge pickup truck.

The sender and '83 style inlet hose are available from any of our Studebaker/Avanti vendors....Try SI, or Dave Thiebeault, or John Meyer.

44 minutes ago, mfg said:

Hello!..When I replaced the fuel sender in my own '83 Avanti a few years ago, I used a NOS unit made for a Studebaker Avanti....It fit perfectly and to this day works just fine!

I also replaced the fuel tank inlet hose ( it was cracked) and found the '83 hose WAS NOT the same as the Studebaker version, since when the inlet was changed to accept unleaded fuel only the factory also changed the inlet and outlet diameters of the connector hose (between inlet and fuel tank)

As your Avanti has a Dana '44' rear end, which was used in many vehicles, the pinion seal will be readily available at your local auto parts store......Order one for the FRONT axle of a (four wheel drive) 1980 Dodge pickup truck.

The sender and '83 style inlet hose are available from any of our Studebaker/Avanti vendors....Try SI, or Dave Thiebeault, or John Meyer.

Thanks for all that info!!! Much appreciated!

One more thing...about the tailights...It gave me much peace of mind after adding a modern 'third' brake lamp at bottom center of the rear window on my '83. (I drive it every day)

It seems no matter what one does to improve the visibility of Avanti tailamps, they're just too darn small!:( :D

16 minutes ago, mfg said:

One more thing...about the tailights...It gave me much peace of mind after adding a modern 'third' brake lamp at bottom center of the rear window on my '83. (I drive it every day)

It seems no matter what one does to improve the visibility of Avanti tailamps, they're just too darn small!:( :D

Thanks! Agreed! :)

• 3 months later...