Power windows problems

Twnchgr

Open question. Does any one know what the power windows rocker switches came from??? <_< In the LSC's or 88 models.

I believe thats where My problem is.Cleaned the contacts in them. yesterday. Its better ,but I think its only a temporary fix. :(

Edited by Twnchgr

Open question. Does any one know what the power windows rocker switches came from??? <_< In the LSC's or 88 models.

I believe thats where My problem is.Cleaned the contacts in them. yesterday. Its better ,but I think its only a temporary fix. :(

Here is what I have written down from the June 1998 Meet that Mike Kelly mentioned regarding parts for these cars. "Dura(?) 'Bapsco' Elkhardt, IN - window switches". That's it! I would think you could go to a good 'professional' electric supply store/vendor and find a replacement, or possibly a marine-boating parts supplier (West Marine). I would bring in the switch. Bill D :rolleyes:

From what I can tell the switches were made by Cutler-Hammer which is now a division of Eaton. That switch design is no longer available but I have used others, matt black instead of gloss etc.

The power window switches in my '87 look like P/N 1750759 from www.avantiparts.net.

Most of my power window problems were caused by loose wires in the door. If one of the windows is working try trading switches to see if the bad window starts to work. If not you are looking at a motor or wiring issue. The ground in the door is an issue also.

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

From what I can tell the switches were made by Cutler-Hammer which is now a division of Eaton. That switch design is no longer available but I have used others, matt black instead of gloss etc.

The power window switches in my '87 look like P/N 1750759 from www.avantiparts.net.

Most of my power window problems were caused by loose wires in the door. If one of the windows is working try trading switches to see if the bad window starts to work. If not you are looking at a motor or wiring issue. The ground in the door is an issue also.

Jim Wood

THANKS GUYS. :D

THANKS GUYS. :D

I'm not sure exactly what your switch looks like (black flat-rocker style?)... if you can't find the originals you may want to check out the switches used in Series 3 Jaguars (mid-80's XJ6 and XJS) to see if they are a suitable substitution, as they sound similar; they are a semi-shiny black plastic push & hold rocker switch, and seem to hold up well. If you found a jag in a junkyard, you could also get the harness connectors to match, as the switches have pins that slide into the connectors. Here's what the Jag switches look like...

http://tinyurl.com/2whxst

http://tinyurl.com/24hbnj

• 3 weeks later...

we recently sold our 89 to one of my wife's friends. 2 weeks later the windows are having problems. cleaning the switch contactors worked on one - I need to pull the door panel off for the other side to see why it appears to be hanging up. Thanks for mentioning taking the switches apart - I may not have looked at them closely enough to see that they are indeed cleanable!

JEff

This is such fun...Worked on windows again today. Found that a set of contacts are sticking. In the relay intermittently?? Just give it a light tap and they work. Go figure.