R3 Disposal!

mfg

Why did the president of the Prestolite Company quickly dispose of his Studebaker Avanti, which happened to be one of the nine 'production line' R3's?

43 minutes ago, mfg said:

Why did the president of the Prestolite Company quickly dispose of his Studebaker Avanti, which happened to be one of the nine 'production line' R3's?

Was his Avanti on loan or lease to Prestolite and when the Studebaker-Prestolite contract ended, the Avanti went back to Studebaker?

18 hours ago, studegary said:

Was his Avanti on loan or lease to Prestolite and when the Studebaker-Prestolite contract ended, the Avanti went back to Studebaker?

Good thought, however no, that wasn't the reason that Avanti had to go.....PRONTO!!:o

Anyone else have an idea on this one?:huh:

10 hours ago, r1lark said:

Perhaps a larger purchaser of Prestolite components wasn't enthused about him driving a Studebaker? 

Good try Paul, but that's really not the reason he needed to 'lose' that R3 Avanti!:(

Many good attempts on this question, however the true ANSWER is........(drum role)...........

After Studebaker stopped producing cars in South Bend the 'books' between the two companies were not exactly 'balanced'......Studebaker owed Prestolite $$$$$ for electrical items already received, and also 'yet to be shipped' items which Studebaker had suddenly cancelled.:o

Under these circumstances, for the President of Prestolite Corporation to keep and drive what was essentially a 'gift' to him by Studebaker would put him in a very unfavorable light....Hence, bye-bye R3 Avanti!!:(

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Many good attempts on this question, however the true ANSWER is........(drum role)...........

After Studebaker stopped producing cars in South Bend the 'books' between the two companies were not exactly 'balanced'......Studebaker owed Prestolite $$$$$ for electrical items already received, and also 'yet to be shipped' items which Studebaker had suddenly cancelled.:o

Under these circumstances, for the President of Prestolite Corporation to keep and drive what was essentially a 'gift' to him by Studebaker would put him in a very unfavorable light....Hence, bye-bye R3 Avanti!!:(

This is what Regnalbob posted.  I know that you do not read his posts.  I just wanted to let you know that the rest of us knew that the answer was posted yesterday.

1 hour ago, studegary said:

This is what Regnalbob posted.  I know that you do not read his posts.  I just wanted to let you know that the rest of us knew that the answer was posted yesterday.

It's too bad I must exclude Regnalbob from the posts which I see Gary,  I realize that the man has a wealth of interesting Studebaker/Avanti info at his disposal, however, his posts always seemed to end up as confrontations rather than  replies, and I, and no doubt everyone else, simply doesn't need that kind of stress.

PS...Going forward, you may see the type of duplication which you've described.........I  apologize for that.....Ed:)