First Avanti!

mfg

47 minutes ago, mfg said:

Evidence indicates that the first Studebaker Avanti was/is serial # ......?........

1) R5650......2) R5651......3) R5652.....or.....4) R5653

2) R5651

5653 has a midland ross frame, and a Saginaw recirculating ball steering box. (like Larks, but with a rag joint). That leads me to think that may be it. 

21 hours ago, brad said:

5653 has a midland ross frame, and a Saginaw recirculating ball steering box. (like Larks, but with a rag joint). That leads me to think that may be it. 

R5653 definitely has a shot at the tile of "First Studebaker Avanti",..... but I'm thinking that another of the four experimental Avantis listed above actually has an even firmer claim......

Any other thoughts here?:huh:

9 hours ago, brad said:

Richard Bennets Due Cento probably could be it.

Good thought, however the trail leads to another of the remaining "EX" cars we haven't mentioned yet.......Any other thoughts on this one?:huh:

ANSWER....The documentation I have indicates that the FIRST Studebaker Avanti was R5652!:o     (formerly serial# EX2945,.... engine #EX2128,.....'Avanti White' exterior)

Edited by mfg

I want to mention that EX2944 MAY POSSIBLY be Studebaker Avanti #1....Info is a bit murky on that car!:o      (Later re-serialed R5651)

NEW (old) INFO.....It now seems R5651 indeed was assembled before R5652......Studegary was in all probability CORRECT here!:)

Edited by mfg

1 hour ago, mfg said:

I want to mention that EX2944 MAY POSSIBLY be Studebaker Avanti #1....Info is a bit murky on that car!:o      (Later re-serialed R5651)

NEW (old) INFO.....It now seems R5651 indeed was assembled before R5652......Studegary was in all probability CORRECT here!:)

Thank you.  My decades old faded pencil notes have become hard to read.  I probably should have transcribed a lot of the information years ago, but saw no reason to do it at that time.  

Thanks to the info posted in the "ODD AVANTI" trivia question, the VERY FIRST STUDEBAKER AVANTI MADE most likely was a car we haven't mentioned yet!

It's EX2929:o,..... an Avanti that had a scheduled completion date of 1/18/62, well ahead of the other nine prototype Avantis!

I wonder if it still exists???

PS....the exterior color specified on the "EX" chart for EX2929 was "GRAY", however, I doubt if that meant the "AVANTI GRAY" production color that was introduced by Studebaker much later....Could the "GRAY" have denoted gray primer?....Interesting!!:)

54 minutes ago, studegary said:

That would mean that NONE of the answers to your initial question were correct.

This is TRUE!:o

Gary, your message box indicates 'FULL' ....You may want to delete some of the older messages.:)

2 hours ago, mfg said:

This is TRUE!:o

Gary, your message box indicates 'FULL' ....You may want to delete some of the older messages.:)

That is strange.  My message box states that it is 26% of capacity.  I would delete some or all, but I do not see how to do it.  Lew - I give you permission to just empty my message box.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, studegary said:

Thank you.  My decades old faded pencil notes have become hard to read.  I probably should have transcribed a lot of the information years ago, but saw no reason to do it at that time.  

Well, it's time that you looked for all your notes and rewrote them, created a digital file and stored it.  Do you know how much info goes down the tube when we "depart the fix"....?

....and that goes for anyone who has anything  worthy, valuable, interesting, but not speculation...

Edited by silverstude

1 hour ago, silverstude said:

Well, it's time that you looked for all your notes and rewrote them, created a digital file and stored it.  Do you know how much info goes down the tube when we "depart the fix"....?

....and that goes for anyone who has anything  worthy, valuable, interesting, but not speculation...

This reminds me of when I wrote up my remembrances of Robert Bourke and submitted them to the Editor of Turning Wheels.  I never heard any thing in response, the same as other things that I submitted to TW.   

26 minutes ago, studegary said:

This reminds me of when I wrote up my remembrances of Robert Bourke and submitted them to the Editor of Turning Wheels.  I never heard any thing in response, the same as other things that I submitted to TW.   

Turning Wheels aside, I'm hoping my push for TERM LIMITS for all SDC paid management positions returns the SDC back to the 'user friendly' auto club it once was!:)

Edited by mfg