Door Lock Information

dadavanti

Its possible that your ignition key has been replaced, and so the locks

are different. Or you might need to work the lock loose with some type

of penetrating oil (PB Blaster). My locks are all "funky" and need to be

wiggled and jiggled to get to turn.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the info.

I took the passenger lock unit off the door last night and cleaned it up real good. It was filthy to say the least. In the process of cleaning it, I was able to see how it works. After lubricating all the moving parts, I put the lock back in. Now I can unlock the passenger door from the outside. I still can't lock it but I don't think that the lock is designed for that (I may be wrong of course). I can lock it from the outside by depressing a small metal tab on the end of the door near the large metal cone shaped thing and at the same time flipping the lock lever on the door. Then when I close the door, it is locked. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to be. I don't have an owner's manual and the shop manual doesn't explain how the locks work.

Anyway, I can lock the door when I get out and open it with the key. So, it is better than before.

Tonight I will clean and lube the driver side lock mechanism!

You should be able to lock and unlock with the key. Sometimes a little pull on the handle while turning the key will get the tumbler to the right spot. My key will come out no matter what direction the tumbler is turned but unless it's removed when the tumbler is straight up and down the door will not be securely locked. Meaning, a little jiggling of the handle and the door can be opened. I know on the driver's side the door is locked by moving the tumbler to the rear of the car then centering it and removing the key. I generally lock the passenger door from inside but I can go out to the garage and verify the direction to turn the key if you want.

Ernie R2 R5388

I took the passenger lock unit off the door last night and cleaned it up real good. It was filthy to say the least. In the process of cleaning it, I was able to see how it works. After lubricating all the moving parts, I put the lock back in. Now I can unlock the passenger door from the outside. I still can't lock it but I don't think that the lock is designed for that (I may be wrong of course). I can lock it from the outside by depressing a small metal tab on the end of the door near the large metal cone shaped thing and at the same time flipping the lock lever on the door. Then when I close the door, it is locked. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to be. I don't have an owner's manual and the shop manual doesn't explain how the locks work.

Anyway, I can lock the door when I get out and open it with the key. So, it is better than before.

Tonight I will clean and lube the driver side lock mechanism!