Avanti Tray!

mfg

1 hour ago, studegary said:

He/she attended an initial showing of the Avanti.

Not correct:(.....because the question asked what a BUYER had to do to get a tray!

Anybody?:huh:

ANSWER......The Avanti purchaser just needed to fill out a  questionnaire concerning his/her new Avanti, send it in, and then Studebaker would thank him (her) with a tray!:)

On 6/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, mfg said:

Not correct:(.....because the question asked what a BUYER had to do to get a tray!

Anybody?:huh:

Now I see that your KEY word was buyer.  

Edited by studegary

Having been a buyer of a new Avanti , 10-24-1963, I was never offered a tray or ever received a form to fill out regarding such.

From my  point of view the dealers had little interest at this stage of their carriers with Studebaker. In August and September talking to two local dealers regarding ordering a R3 from the factory there was no interest on their part of taking such an order. I was living in the Metro New York area hardly a small market.

Bob Caser

25 minutes ago, bob caser said:

Having been a buyer of a new Avanti , 10-24-1963, I was never offered a tray or ever received a form to fill out regarding such.

From my  point of view the dealers had little interest at this stage of their carriers with Studebaker. In August and September talking to two local dealers regarding ordering a R3 from the factory there was no interest on their part of taking such an order. I was living in the Metro New York area hardly a small market.

Bob Caser

It's too bad your "friendly Studebaker dealers" were reluctant to order the R3 Avanti you wanted......That car may have ended up to be  the TENTH 'production line' 1964 Studebaker Avanti R3!!:o

There would have been more than 9 production cars , if the dealers and the factory would have been more attentive. The client base was not the "HOT ROD" magazine reader, which did publish the most complete article regarding the R3 engine. An  Avanti with a R3 engine would retail for close to $6,000 dollars and it had serious competition at that price.

Bob Caser

9 minutes ago, bob caser said:

There would have been more than 9 production cars , if the dealers and the factory would have been more attentive. The client base was not the "HOT ROD" magazine reader, which did publish the most complete article regarding the R3 engine. An  Avanti with a R3 engine would retail for close to $6,000 dollars and it had serious competition at that price.

Bob Caser

$6000 in 1963 would be more than $50,000 in 2019 dollars.  

6 hours ago, bob caser said:

Bob Caser

Bob, you don't by chance still own the Avanti you purchased on 10/24/63?

18 hours ago, bob caser said:

I still have it,  R5051.

Bob Caser

Hey, that's REALLY SOMETHING!!.....Can you give us more details about your Avanti?:)

Long story . I was showing another Avanti in 1985 at the annual La Palma show. This was a modified car, and it won first place in it class.  This guy walks up and introduces himself., and we start talking about this car  R5487 car and also about R5051 which was being repainted at a local body shop. At this time it was a very nice car with 39,000 miles and never modified. This individual is interested in seeing the car and we make arrangements to meet at the body shop while looking at the car he tells me he had a turquoise 64 in the past and it would be great to build a show car out of my car. So the body shop and this guy proceed to move forward on my car and I support the money side and now realize we are building a trailer queen of Pebble Beach standards. So from 1985 to 1990 they proceed to build "my" show car. The car has been in storage since 1990 only needing the bumpers to be completed and installed.Everything mechanical was rebuilt and no fluids were installed. The engine is turned over by hand and oiled. This is a over restored Avanti something that I now regret.

Jon Meyer, John Metzker, Ed Reynolds and Gary Johnson all contributed to this show car.

Oh the guy and I became good friends until his passing. His name :  Tom Kellogg

Bob Caser

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

What a story!....What a car!...I've personally always felt that 'Avanti Turquoise' exterior paint to be the color of choice for Studebaker Avantis, and this '64 model with a solid turquoise interior with woodgrain accents really is SPECTACULAR!

Thank you for posting the photos Bob!

Two other spectacular turquoise/turquoise '64 Studebaker Avantis that come to mind are Dick Vaux's R4892, the first production line 'square light' car, and Randy Rapp's R5089, the first production line R3 Avanti.:)

The interior in this car is all NOS , gauges , carpet, steering column, and seats. Ed Reynolds had complete vinyl interior pieces at one time at a bargain price. It would be impossible to duplicate this today at any cost.

Bob Caser