Egbert Badges!

mfg

Interestingly, R4130, the 'Sherwood Egbert' Avanti used in many Studebaker publicity photos did not wear the unique "SE" quarter panel badges when used for those photos.........True?

Maybe It depends on what they were publicising. I could see if The story was about  Sherwood then yes, if not then no.

So I think sometime yes sometime no so false for me.

R4130 was the "mule" for the '64 changes and was used for advertising photos.  I don't believe it was sold to Egbert until later.  So I say the question is true.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:11 PM, 1963r2 said:

Maybe It depends on what they were publicising. I could see if The story was about  Sherwood then yes, if not then no.

So I think sometime yes sometime no so false for me.

Sorry, false is not correct!:(

On 6/30/2019 at 8:05 PM, Gunslinger said:

R4130 was the "mule" for the '64 changes and was used for advertising photos.  I don't believe it was sold to Egbert until later.  So I say the question is true.

And you are CORRECT!:)

I know of an "earlier" EX prototype that is the "real" mule for the 64 styling. It even has a "ex" R3 engine, and the prototype square headlight bezels. 4130 is famous for being  Egberts car, but the other statements are not correct. It was owned by the corporation engineering dept.before being re-serial numbered and sold. 

Edited by brad

16 hours ago, brad said:

I know of an "earlier" EX prototype that is the "real" mule for the 64 styling. It even has a "ex" R3 engine, and the prototype square headlight bezels. 4130 is famous for being  Egberts car, but the other statements are not correct. It was owned by the corporation engineering dept.before being re-serial numbered and sold. 

Interesting point Brad!....You're probably speaking of R5653 (formerly EX2946)...... This is a engineering prototype that Studebaker later re-serial numbered and sold off.

Andy Granatelli apparently personally used this Avanti, and had an A/C unit put into the console.....He'd pull the supercharger and have an A/C compressor installed when things got too hot!:o

Also, the jury is out whether or not Studebaker, or someone later on, installed the square headlamp assemblies....Many 'round light' Studebaker Avantis ended up with those. (for one reason or another!)

I believe that we still have to give credit to the R4130 Avanti as not only the 'Egbert Avanti' (although he drove several others) but also as the true prototype of what the styling changes for the 1964 line of Studebaker Avantis would ultimately be:).

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, mfg said:

Interesting point Brad!....You're probably speaking of R5653 (formerly EX2946)...... This is a engineering prototype that Studebaker later re-serial numbered and sold off.

Andy Granatelli apparently personally used this Avanti, and had an A/C unit put into the console.....He'd pull the supercharger and have an A/C compressor installed when things got too hot!:o

Interesting story about the swappable supercharger and A/C. My '63 came from the factory as an R2 but the first owner decided he really wanted A/C so had his Studebaker dealer remove the supercharger and added all the factory parts to make it look like an original A/C car. So the dash console has all the correct A/C vents and controls, but the car still has the Supercharged badges, 160 mph speedo, etc.  It would be great if I could find a supercharger (and related parts) to be able to swap that back in. And maybe buy a new, smaller A/C compressor to be able to run both if possible!