Woodgrain Interior Trim on Console

Mid Mod Guy

I have a 1963 Avanti R2. The original owner had a Studebaker dealer remove the supercharger and add air-conditioning. So the center console has Avanti-correct A/C vents and controls. My question is that the center control area (and the console ash tray) are both finished in woodgrain trim, while the main instrument cluster is finished in Fawn paint. At first I assumed that the woodgrain was a contact paper add-on (it kind of looks like it could just peel off). But then I watched the History Channel special on Studebaker Avanti, and they showed one with the same woodgrain in the center console and Fawn paint around the gauges. So now I'm wondering if that interior combination was an option from Studebaker. See the photos. The turquoise interior is mine and the orange interior is from the History Channel video.

If I considered peeling off the woodgrain on mine, would I likely find fawn paint, unfinished metal, or something else? If it was indeed an original Studebaker interior option, then I will leave it alone. 

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

They should match but never say never with Studebaker and how some things got done.  I think you would be better off locating correct console panels and sell what you have to someone who needs them.  Those parts on your car's console are 1964 parts.  I'd say yours were swapped out when a/c was added by the dealer who used 1964 parts.  Mismatched dash and console parts are not particularly uncommon in Avantis.

I'd give Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors a call for those parts or Myer's Studebaker.  The parts also show up with some regularity on eBay.  

The bottom console plate with the four slots is somewhat rare.  It was only used on a limited range of Avantis that were transition cars.  It carries some value to someone who needs it.

9 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

The bottom console plate with the four slots is somewhat rare.  It was only used on a limited range of Avantis that were transition cars.  It carries some value to someone who needs it.

Transition meaning from 1963 to 1964? What would the console panel with A/C look like without the four slots? Just a solid panel with the control knobs?

18 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Looks like you may have round knobs as well. I believe I have some spare panels and controls. I will check in the morning.

Mine is the turquoise interior with the flat control knobs. The one with the round knobs was from the History Channel video on Avanti. Let me know what you have for spare panels. I might be interested. Thanks.

The transition cars...numbers vary...used a mixture of '63 and '64 parts being phased in prior to car R4892 which is considered the first true '64 with all the running changes installed.  The transition cars used the earlier 4-slot console panel but with the wood grain overlay.  

On 6/27/2019 at 11:03 PM, 64studeavanti said:

Looks like you may have round knobs as well. I believe I have some spare panels and controls. I will check in the morning.

Do you have the two AC controls, Temp and fan speed, that you would sell?

Thanks

John