Museum Reaches Out!

mfg

So the Studebaker National Museum has announced it will be a bidder for the 1931 #37 Hunt/Studebaker Special Indy Racer, which is now owned by the family of the late Bob Valpey.

This extremely historic and valuable automobile will be auctioned off by the Gooding's Auction Company at Pebble Beach, Calif. this August. (16th-17th)

The SNM  trustees would like to bring this vehicle back home to South Bend, and they are soliciting pledges from interested individuals and organizations.

With the obvious connection the Avanti Owners Association has with Studebaker, and the Studebaker National Museum, I wondered if the' powers that be' at the AOAI would consider making a substantial pledge?

#37 certainly wont go cheap!!

As an aside, I have a personal connection with this Indianapolis Race Car.....About six years ago Bob Valpey's neighbor and good friend 'Pat' was nice enough to take me for a ride in the racer.

WHAT A THRILL!!,  however, I unwittingly rested my right arm onto the exhaust pipe which runs along the side of the car, and I still carry a small burn scar on the bottom of my arm for making that goof !

WARNING!...The exhaust pipe on the #37 Hunt/Studebaker Special should NOT be used as an arm rest!!:o :D.....Avanti,  Ed

Edited by mfg
Got State wrong!

26 minutes ago, studegary said:

I would like to see Bob's car end up in the SNM.  BTW, Pebble Beach is in California, not Florida.  

Thanks Gary, I made that correction.....I'm going down to Fla. for a few days next week, and I guess it's on my mind!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow!..#37 sold for one million dollars (plus the additional buyers premium)....Too bad the SNM was outbid though!:(.....Sure hope this rare car will still be 'available' for the public, (us fans), to see!:)

Edited by mfg

7 hours ago, scottgriggs said:

It would be nice if the SNM could get the #22 car loaned to them for display from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum.  I'm pretty sure I have been to the IMS museum and not seen the #22 car on display every time.  If they take it out of rotation, send it to South Bend!

That is one TERRIFIC idea!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 5:20 PM, Regnalbob said:

Don't know where it ended up, however a nice video.

Nice video!.....This Stude race car really is special....The documented history that follows it is incredible!:)