1964 Keys

GeoBurns

I just took delivery of a 1964 Avanti (my first) that I had transported from California. :D The car arrived unscathed but the driver of the car carrier lost the freaking keys. :blink::angry: Is there anyway to get the key codes to have new keys made?

I spoke with a locksmith. He says that without them we have to take out the lock cylinder from the door and he might be able to figure out the tumblers. I assume the trunk/glovebox is a different key so we would have to do the same thing there.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I found key blanks on eBay and purchased them.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GeoBurns

I can't really help with your question. But personally I would be a little wary of not knowing where the keys are. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but can you be sure that the driver really "lost" the keys? Is the shipping comany going to compensate you in any way?

I agree...the car carrier has the liability of replacing the keys or fixing the problem in whatever way solves the problem. They took repsonsibility for the car's care from the time they picked it up until it was delivered to you.

Look over the sheet the driver filled out when he picked the car up. It should list the condition of the car with all scrapes, etc., and the number of keys it was sent with.

A locksmith can diassemble the door locks (a real PITA) and the ignition switch and make new keys. The glove box and console locks are not really able to be disassmbled due to the way they're made. You're better off finding replacements with keys. They pop up on Ebay regularly or you can buy used from any number of suppliers.

This is the problem of the trucking company to resolve...to your satisfaction. Hold them to it.

The car carrier has taken responsibility and will reimburse me for any costs associated with the new keys. I was just hoping for an easier solution.

Are the codes available anywhere?

George:

You can order a copy of the original factory production order for you Avanti from either the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, (574) 235-9714, or from Nostalgic Motors in Michigan (1-800-Avanti-X).

You just need to give them the car's serial number.

Listed on the production order are the Ignition Key number and the Trunk key number. (The trunk number is just for the glove box and console locks on an Avanti, of course).

These are four-digit numbers, so I'm not sure if a locksmith can decode this four-digit code, but is is worth a try.

Original keys are available from Studebaker International in Greenfield, Indiana, and also probably from Nostalgic Motors.

By the way, I noticed that you mention this is your first Avanti. Are you in the Avanti Owners Association and/or receiving our quarterly, 84 page color magazine? We also have been selling an Avanti Calendar, now in it's third year.

Good luck!!

Lew

George:

You can order a copy of the original factory production order for you Avanti from either the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, (574) 235-9714, or from Nostalgic Motors in Michigan (1-800-Avanti-X).

You just need to give them the car's serial number.

Listed on the production order are the Ignition Key number and the Trunk key number. (The trunk number is just for the glove box and console locks on an Avanti, of course).

These are four-digit numbers, so I'm not sure if a locksmith can decode this four-digit code, but is is worth a try.

Original keys are available from Studebaker International in Greenfield, Indiana, and also probably from Nostalgic Motors.

By the way, I noticed that you mention this is your first Avanti. Are you in the Avanti Owners Association and/or receiving our quarterly, 84 page color magazine? We also have been selling an Avanti Calendar, now in it's third year.

Good luck!!

Lew

Lew,

Thanks for the info. I'll get right on that.

I have loved the Avanti :wub: ever since I first saw one in 1962. I have been an AOAI member off and on over the years. It was not until last year that I had enough discretionary income to think seriously about owning one. I re-joined the AOAI, 5 year membership, and ordered a 2007 calendar which hangs proudly here next to my desk at work. I started my search and finally ended up (delivered yesterday) with a 1964 black tag CA Avanti sans keys but nonetheless MINE.

Does anyone know if new keys can be made from the key codes?

Thanks again

Edited by GeoBurns

Does anyone know if new keys can be made from the key codes?

Thanks again

I don't, but...

Have you asked the seller if he might have an extra set he didn't send with the car?

New door and ignition locks are $65 EACH from Nostalgic Motor Cars: avantiparts.net

They may also know whether new keys can be made from the key code, or check with

a good long-established locksmith (with old books!). I don't know a thing about locksmithing,

but it may be possible for a locksmith to make a key for the ignition switch from a blank, if he

has the (removed) ignition switch to play with.... if I recall correctly, the ignition switch can be

removed without the key inserted. I haven't owned a Stude Avanti in many years, so I've forgotten,

does the same key fit ignition and doors? If so, then a key made by a locksmith specifically for

your ignition switch might fit the doors, avoiding the hassle of R&R'ing the door handles.

I don't, but...

Have you asked the seller if he might have an extra set he didn't send with the car?

New door and ignition locks are $65 EACH from Nostalgic Motor Cars: avantiparts.net

They may also know whether new keys can be made from the key code, or check with

a good long-established locksmith (with old books!). I don't know a thing about locksmithing,

but it may be possible for a locksmith to make a key for the ignition switch from a blank, if he

has the (removed) ignition switch to play with.... if I recall correctly, the ignition switch can be

removed without the key inserted. I haven't owned a Stude Avanti in many years, so I've forgotten,

does the same key fit ignition and doors? If so, then a key made by a locksmith specifically for

your ignition switch might fit the doors, avoiding the hassle of R&R'ing the door handles.

Thanks for the reply.

I contacted the wholesaler where I purchased the car but he did not have any keys. I asked him to contact the previous owner but have not heard back yet.

I also ordered the shop manual so that I can remove any switches that I need to.

Does the trunk key match the ignition key?

Thanks for the reply.

I contacted the wholesaler where I purchased the car but he did not have any keys. I asked him to contact the previous owner but have not heard back yet.

I also ordered the shop manual so that I can remove any switches that I need to.

Does the trunk key match the ignition key?

George:

The ignition key is the same as the doors, so you only have to remove the ignition switch to use to make a key. That key will also open the doors.

The other "trunk key" is used for only the glove box door and console cover. (The trunk of course uses no key; you access the trunk by pulling the cable release behind the driver's seat at the far left edge of the back seat, just above the floor.)

Lew

Years ago my brother lost the keys to his 64 Lark Daytona. We called up

a locksmith and he MADE the keys right there in the street. This would

have been around 1990 or so. It was funny actually, he was out there

for an hour or more, and we came out to check on his progress, he was

upset that he couldnt get the door key to work in the trunk. he was less

than happy to hear (at this late stage in the game) that Stude trunk keys

were DIFFERENT than the door/ignition. The scary part was, he got SO

close to getting ONE key to fit all three locks! What a trooper! The key

would work fine in the door/ignition, but you had to jiggle the trunk! It

must have been due to age, since those two keys are quite different! My

point is, a GOOD locksmith should be able to make it right there and get

you on the road! ;)B)

Tom

Years ago my brother lost the keys to his 64 Lark Daytona. We called up a locksmith and he MADE the keys right there in the street. This would have been around 1990 or so...My point is, a GOOD locksmith should be able to make it right there and get you on the road! ;)B)

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I guess I have not found a GOOD ;) locksmith yet. I gave up after getting the same story from three of them. I'll exhaust the yellow pages today.

Do we have any locksmiths here in AOAI or does anyone know a GOOD ;) locksmith that they could ask?

Thanks again.

Edited by GeoBurns

Nice looking car. I was bidding for it on Ebay. I'm looking for a '64 with a serial number higher than 5000. I would like to know how high you had to go to get it. Just a range, not the actual price. I hope it runs as good as it looks!

I agree that an experienced locksmith should be able to make those keys without taking everything apart.

Al B in NC :rolleyes:

Nice looking car. I was bidding for it on Ebay. I'm looking for a '64 with a serial number higher than 5000. I would like to know how high you had to go to get it. Just a range, not the actual price. I hope it runs as good as it looks!

I agree that an experienced locksmith should be able to make those keys without taking everything apart.

Al B in NC :rolleyes:

I was the high bidder for a few days. I was concerned about losing out in the last few minutes which had happened to me with a couple of other Avantis. I contacted the seller and asked if he had a Buy-It-Now price. We negotiated a price and it came in around 12. I checked through all the seller's feedback and it was all very positive. This was my first time buying a car without seeing, sitting and driving first. I took a chance here. Sort of like a blind date where you only see a picture. Only here I hope I don't get screwed.

So far I am happy with what I see. I'll let you know more when I get some keys and can hear and feel it.

Edited by GeoBurns

Thank you for the info. It looks like you got a good deal. I was a little put off by the wheel flairs and hood. They do look great, but I'm looking for a stock car.

I've owned Avanti's since 1970. My last was R5408. A 4 speed car with air. I never should have sold it!

Al B in NC

Thank you for the info. It looks like you got a good deal. I was a little put off by the wheel flairs and hood. They do look great, but I'm looking for a stock car.

I've owned Avanti's since 1970. My last was R5408. A 4 speed car with air. I never should have sold it!

Al B in NC

I was at first also. The more I looked at it, the more I liked the flairs. I was not looking for a 100 point car or a car to turn into a 100 pointer. I wanted a car to drive and enjoy not a garage queen. The flairs can always be removed.

This is my first. I always wanted one but it took 40+ years to get one. I almost purchased one back in the late seventies. But I was too stupid :blink: then and thought that $3500 was too much for a very very nice car. With age comes wisdom (or less stupidity). ;)

Good luck in your quest.

I just got my Shop Manual on CD.

:)Good news - the ignition switch is easily removed from the dash.

:(Bad news - the lock cylinder requires the key to remove it from the switch.

"To remove the lock cylinder from the switch,

insert the key in the lock and turn it to the 'ON'

position. ..."

Sort of sounds like a Catch-22 situation. You need the lock cylinder to have a key made but you need a key to get the lock cylinder out of the switch.

:)Good news - I guess if I can get the ignition switch to a locksmith, he can pick the lock and turn it to the 'ON' position and remove the lock cylinder.

:)Good news - delivering the ignition switch to the locksmith eliminates the cost of a housecall, hopefully reducing $$$.

Do three Goods outweigh 1 Bad. Let's hope so!

:) - :( + :) + :) = :D

Edited by GeoBurns

George, I bought my first Avanti in 1970. My Mom had to co-sign for the loan!

When you adjust for inflation, these cars have not really gone up in value that much. I think they are a real bargain.

They are a little quirky to deal with. After you get it started -- you will begin to understand what I mean. I have a 100 point 1957 T-Bird that is a trailer queen. It is a Senior Gold Medallion Car as judged by The Classic Thunderbird Club International. I spent a ton of money restoring it and for that I ge to look at it in my garage and pet it every once and a while. Drivers are the way to go!!

Say goodnight Gracie.

Al B in NC B)

Edited by abasile

...When you adjust for inflation, these cars have not really gone up in value that much. I think they are a real bargain...

I have to agree. I do not understand why a low production car such as the Avanti has not gone way up in value. It may be because the "serious" collectors have not put their imprimatur on them yet. I am happy that they have not. Otherwise I would never have been able to purchase one.

As I said before I did not buy the Avanti as an investment but as a vehicle to drive, see, touch, smell, and enjoy. In my youth I was a real motorhead. Opening the hood of the Avanti for the first time and smelling the aroma of a non-sterilized (emission controlled) engine compartment brought back a flood of memories. Woo hoo onto the dirty fingernails.

I just got my Shop Manual on CD.

:)Good news - the ignition switch is easily removed from the dash.

:(Bad news - the lock cylinder requires the key to remove it from the switch.

"To remove the lock cylinder from the switch,

insert the key the key in the lock and turn it to the 'ON'

position. ..."

Sort of sounds like a Catch-22 situation. You need the lock cylinder to have a key made but you need a key to get the lock cylinder out of the switch.

:)Good news - I guess if I can get the ignition switch to a locksmith, he can pick the lock and turn it to the 'ON' position and remove the lock cylinder.

:)Good news - delivering the ignition switch to the locksmith eliminates the cost of a housecall, hopefully reducing $$$.

Do three Goods outweigh 1 Bad. Let's hope so!

You can buy a whole key assembly from studebaker international..Maybe talk to them about the doors

317 462 3124

:) - :( + :) + :) = :D

You can buy a whole key assembly from studebaker international..Maybe talk to them about the doors

317 462 3124

Thanks for the info. I was aware of that and that will be my last choice.

I am trying to get by as cheaply as possible since I probably have a long road of expenditures ahead of me. I think someone said that they run around $65.00. If I can get keys made from the existing lock cylinder then I don't have to worry about tearing apart the doors to get to the door locks. I know I will eventually for some other reason but I would rather hold off on that for now.

They have a set of ignition switch and two door handles with keys on eBay

Thanks again.

Edited by GeoBurns

What happened to the GOOD locksmiths??? I bet a homeboy could have

that Avanti key made in 60 seconds!! I could post a question on the Impala

site, some of those guys have questionable pasts. :P;)B)

Tom

What happened to the GOOD locksmiths??? I bet a homeboy could have

that Avanti key made in 60 seconds!! I could post a question on the Impala

site, some of those guys have questionable pasts. :P;)B)

Tom

We had a heavy ice storm and dropping temps around here that caused all kinds of havoc. The Avanti is in an unheated space so I have not been able to get over to it. Temps are going up so I should be able to get the ignition switch out soon. Once I get the switch out I'll take it to a locksmith.

I received the Production Order with the key codes so I am as set as I can be.

Saw the pictures of your Avanti. That is one spectacular car.

Edited by GeoBurns

#1 locksmith has backed out already without even seeing the lock or the key blanks.

#2 locksmith says that he can help me. He will even hand file the new keys if necessary. I have not met him yet just had an ear-to-ear over the phone. ;) He sounds very confident. He said that most "modern" locksmiths cannot do the handwork anymore. If it is not in the computer, then they cannot do it.

He wants at least 4 blanks because hand filing can produce throw-aways.

Sounds like I am getting closer to a solution. I may even get to hear this thing soon. :rolleyes:

Edited by GeoBurns