Stress Fracture on Fender

Dan S

I noticed another Avanti II (1970) with a stress fracture on top of the left front fender near the hood latch, just like the one on my 1978. Is this common? Can it be strengthened? Does it occur on both fenders?

IMG_5158F.jpg

VERY common.....That area of an Avanti's fiberglass body is subject to major stress as the car ages.....This stress is due to the radiator core support 'sagging' over time, which pulls the nose down at the front.

I'd add shims as necessary between the frame horns and the core support ears to give your Avanti's nose the support it originally had. (Or repair the core support itself if it's rusted or an 'ear' has broken off-----also very common)

After that I'd 'V' out the fiberglass at the cracked area and then do the normal fiberglass / paint body repair.....Ed:)

Gotta agree about the radiator support...if that bends or fractures the front end can suffer excessive up and down movements creating cracks in the fiberglass.  Another common area to keep and eye on is the lower corners of the windshield where it meets the cowl.  

When you have your car painted have it all inspected closely.  There can be a lot of unseen stress cracks on an Avanti body that show up when parts are removed for paint prep.

Edited by Gunslinger