Long Avanti!

mfg

7 hours ago, mfg said:

Overall length of a 1970 Avanti ll is.....?.......

1) 197.5"......2) 198"......3) 198.5".....or.....4) 199"

I will go with 5) none of the above.  A 1971 (like a 1970) is 192.5" and a 1973 (with "bumpers") is 1) 197.5".

13 hours ago, studegary said:

I will go with 5) none of the above.  A 1971 (like a 1970) is 192.5" and a 1973 (with "bumpers") is 1) 197.5".

Sorry Gary, answer #5 (?) is incorrect.:(

14 minutes ago, studegary said:

How can a 1970 be as long, or longer, than a 1973? 

You'd have to ask Avanti Motors Gary!...The info came from a 4/70 Esquire Magazine ad which listed all current Avanti specs!...  Any other thoughts on this one?

1963-1971 are the same body, bumpers and chassis and are 192.5".  I just checked a 1966 Avanti factory sheet and a couple of other factory items.  The 1973s "grew" to 197.5 due to the bumpers.  

I'll add some info to what Gary states above. My Avanti II 1972 option/price list dated Jan 15 1972 lists the overall length as 192.5", as do the earlier ones (but I don't have 1970 :mellow:). My 1974 (don't have a '73 but looks like Gary does) list shows 197.5" and this dimension continues up thru 1977. 1978 list changes to 197.8".

Hopefully someone has a 1970 factor price/option list that has the overall length and will post that, will be interesting to see what that year's list showed.

I have two different 1970 price and options lists...the MSRP changed during the model year.  Unfortunately neither lists the car's dimensions as other model year spec sheets do.  The '66 lists the Avanti as 192.5" long as Gary stated.  It wasn't until about '72 or '73 when impact absorbing bumpers were mandated that any substantive change was made in overall length.  There was no reason to.  

23 minutes ago, studegary said:

Hopefully, we are not taking what is in a magazine ad as final authority.  Thanks for the confirmation and support guys.  

There is no Avanti ad in the April, 1970 issue of Esquire Magazine listing all the specs.

However, there is an article, Avanti Still Means Forward by Dan Jedlicka. There is no mention of the overall length.

This is from the book Avanti, by Thomas Bonsall.

843216215_1970AvantiSpecs.jpeg2.thumb.jpeg.6b308e84246822d2d0ff8a742e71f89c.jpeg

1 hour ago, studegary said:

Hopefully, we are not taking what is in a magazine ad as final authority.  Thanks for the confirmation and support guys.  

Don't shoot the messenger here Gary!!:o....Look up an 4/70 issue of Esquire magazine, read the listed specs (which include overall length at 197.5") and take it for what you will.:)

PS....Cheer up Gary...you did get two correct answers today!:D

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Don't shoot the messenger here Gary!!:o....Look up an 4/70 issue of Esquire magazine, read the listed specs (which include overall length at 197.5") and take it for what you will.:)

PS....Cheer up Gary...you did get two correct answers today!:D

No need to "cheer up"  I count it as three correct today - hood, paint and length.  

How about what Regnalbob posted about the 4/70 Esquire?  

If you noticed, three prominent Avanti people supported my answer and no one, except you, disagreed.

19 hours ago, studegary said:

No need to "cheer up"  I count it as three correct today - hood, paint and length.  

How about what Regnalbob posted about the 4/70 Esquire?  

If you noticed, three prominent Avanti people supported my answer and no one, except you, disagreed.

Gary, I've considered your claim that the magazine spec was an error, however, i feel that measuring the overall length of at least one 'bone stock' 1970 Avanti ll is the only sure way of resolving this AVANTI TRIVIA question!:)

Also, in answer to your inquiry, I didn't see or read Regnalbob's post, as I've unfortunately found it necessary to block that person. (Ignored User:()