Dash Pad color change options

scottgriggs

What options exist for changing the color of an Avanti dash pad?  My preference would be a black dash.  Obviously, dash pad replacement would do the trick, but I haven't been able to find and information on what is available and cost.  Does anyone know?

Are there any other options for a color change?  For example, I have seen dyes on one of the Stude parts websites.  I'm not sure if that could be done, or if it would be a durable solution.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Scott Griggs

Louisville, KY

An automotive paint supplier can mix you want you want...they put in a flex agent so the dash can flex and not crack the paint.  You would first have to make sure the dash is completely clean and free from contaminants that could keep the new paint from adhering.  

Two options as long as we are discussing vinyl. Leather can be done with dyes from www.leatherique.com and work very well.

As above you can dye it. I used SEM spray dye that's available in spray cans at most auto paint store. There's a knack to using it but if you don't like the first try, you can wipe it off with solvent and do it over. I did the rear seats and door cards on my 74 to change the color and they came out well as you can see in the picture. I used a combination of glossy and satin to get the effect I wanted. 

CuW68p2.jpg

The other option is to have the dash recovered as I don't believe repo dash pads are currently available. I modified an 89 dash for the 74 and a local upholsterer  covered it in my choice of automotive vinyl. Cost was $300. No reason the earlier ones couldn't be done.

HX5lQVB.jpg

7 hours ago, scottgriggs said:

Thank you, gentlemen.  Good information.

Avanti83, did you apply the dye to the carpet on the lower portion of the door panel as well as on the vinyl to achieve the color change?

Scott Griggs

No, I added new black from the carpet kit I bought. I believe you can color the carpet with the dye if you rake it into the carpet as you spray. I'd rather replace the carpet if possible. I had the door and interior panels out of the vehicle and in individual pieces when I sprayed them.

Gary's question is a valid one on longevity on wear surfaces. The vinyl dye is really a coating and doesn't penetrate the vinyl to any extent, whereas leather dyes penetrate and offer, I would argue, more resistance to wear. I've used vinyl dyes/coatings in the past on vinyl with good results but have never done front seats.

I've used Leatherique's dyes on my 83 Avanti's leather front seats and it works fine. But they are an excellent quality leather.

Lastly, practice on another piece before you commit to spraying your dash. The spray will take some practice. I found you need light coats and mid-range temp in the 70 range seemed to work best. You can wipe the dye off but there will be traces in the low spots. So once you start you are committed.

As a last thought, most Avanti's, Early II's and even later are not known for the comfort of the front seats. Later cars added a Recaro option that went a long way to adding comfort to the seats but newer seats from other vehicles have been substituted by several of us old farts to increase comfort as we drive them.

I changed the interior color of my 74 for two reasons: The S--- Brindle tan and brown interior interior in mine was not to my liking and it was stained with a combination of cigarette smoke and other events over it's life. The color change to Dayton Yellow also wasn't complimented by the original color.

Secondly the seats were uncomfortable so I planned an upgrade. I left the original non-Recaro ones in my 83 as they were decently comfortable with the optional recline feature and the leather was first class.

I went to G6 seats in the 74 and they are a major improvement. The reason I stayed with the original vinyl in the 74 was it is a very heavy high quality material that had remained in good shape over it's life. I did replace the plywood and vinyl on the rear shelf and vinyl on c-panels, roll bar cover and on the top of the drivers door card as that was quite worn. I found a pattern that was much like the original but the black didn't match so I spray dyed it.

Results - The front seats don't match well but eventually because they are leather, I'll dye them to match or have them recovered.

Just like the body... recoloring  the Plastic/vinyl/whatever requires a primer before spraying the color.   I used the seats from a 98" firebird GT ( with the blowup side supports and lumbar cushion).  The plastic bellows & backing on the uprights and the  lower seat trim all had to be changed to match the material for the upholstery.