Fuel line locations and tank connections, early 1963's

Ron Dame

Was there a running change in the location of the vent /overflow lines? The connections on my tank are not in the same place as shown in the Bob Johnstone's web page, especially the vent connection which is dead center on my tank, instead of to the side on his photo.

Further, the  vent line runs up into the left pillar, then back down and through a hole in the tank floor, instead of the right wheel well as described on that page. My issue is gas fumes in the cabin that I cannot locate. Should I re-route this line?

If the vent or fuel lines are age cracked the smell can leak into the interior.  The panel between the back seat and the gas tank was slathered with sealant around its edges...the sealant could have dried out and split with the same results.  If someone in the past has had that panel out for any reason they may not have resealed it.  Another place to check is the fuel filler as it goes through the interior at the rear deck and the rubber hose could be cracked or even the filler neck weld could be cracked.

Considering the age of these cars it's not a bad idea to check them all thoroughly and replace them. 

Ron, it has been many years since I worked on my gas tank, and I don't recall exactly where on the top of the tank the vent was located, but I do recall that when it came out of the sailpanel ir exited through the floor not into the wheel well. FYI.......my car is #1348.

I replaced that vent tube, up into and out of the sail panel. Not an easy job , but it can be done. Things to check.........Is the sender tight to the tank? It could be the source of vapors. Check the fitting and hose on the bottom of the tank for any dampness or leaks. Same with the return line. Check for cracked welds or soldering Gunslinger already mentioned the filler pipe connection.

I had a horrendously rotted filler hose when I first bought my car 4 years ago.  Initially I removed the entire tank to have it boiled out since I also had a problem with rust blocking the fuel filter repeatedly.  I replaced all the rubber lines except the one up in the "C" pillar, the vent line.  As time would go on, the fumes started to return.

This last month I took the time to pull the entire interior out in the back of the car since I needed to replace the rear window gasket.  I took the opportunity to (initially) to get the headliner out and refinish it and that meant pulling the side panels.  By doing that I could get better access but Studebaker thought to rivet a clip to hold the vent hose and keep it from rattling around.  The pop rivet is visible buthee are a couple of others in the same area so use a bore scope to verify which one to drill out.  The take a hole saw and make a hole near use the hole to access the rotten hose, you'll need to cut it to get it out.  Also, I found the steel tube that runs along the top of the gas tank from the tube coming out of the tank and the hose in the pillar was cracked.  Threw that out as well and used some stainless tube.

The result?  Clear air for once.

Edited by Kennie B.