Coil Springs

R2W55

I am now putting my 78 back together! But something does not seem right!

I replaced the Front Coils springs with Moog CC653, variable rate springs. I had read a couple of articles on Avanti Websites sites that said these were a good replacement. The Moog CC655 were the recommended but are no longer available.

I replaced all the bushings, rebuilt the kingpins and reassembled the upper and lower control arms (no engine or body yet) using a chain around the frame and floor jack (actually a truckers strap) to compress the spring and reassemble the king pins.  All went well. As expected, with no weight on the frame, the upper control arm bumper was sitting on the frame.

I have put the engine and transmission back on the frame. I expected at this point to see some compression of the spring.  NONE!  With a jack stand under the lower control arm, and pushing down on the frame, I still do not get any compression.  I again put the floor jack under the lower control arm and wrapped a chain around it and the frame.  I can get compression this way. The upper/lower control arms do move up and down as expected.

Does this sound normal?  Is the body going to add that much more weight? Did I order the wrong springs?

Thanks.  That eases my mind.  I would hate o have to disassemble the control arms again to replace. just curious, about how much distance is there between your frame and the upper control arm bumper?

I just double checked and the bushings have not been tightened yet. I just checked with a MOOG Representative and the 2 springs are compatible. 

I guess I'll have to wait until I get the body back on.