Can This Be Done?

mfg

Okay,...a friend of mine has a very nice '64 Studebaker Avanti R1 with Powershift which he intends to convert over to a four (or five) speed.

This Avanti's original frame (rusted) was swapped out several years ago, replaced with a solid '60 Lark convertible frame.....Nice job!...Looks like the work was done properly.

Now, the replacement frame has a factory installed support tube through the left frame rail which was intended to support the Lark's "through the floor" clutch pedal & operating shaft.

As he feels that original Studebaker Avanti suspended pedal clutch linkage is marginal (weak) at best,..... CAN A "THROUGH THE FLOOR" (Lark type) CLUTCH PEDAL ASSY , WHICH IS ULTRA STRONG, SIMPLE, AND RELIABLE, BE INSTALLED INTO A 1964 STUDEBAKER AVANTI?

Opinions welcome!:)

Assuming that the Lark frame was from a V8 car, I believe that it could be done, but not 1-2-3.  One potential problem is the different floor angles between the two cars.  Another would be getting the proper pedal spring location for application.  These three things come to mind, but problems always crop up in endeavors such as this.  I have not seen it done.     

Of course it can be installed. All it takes is a torch and glass resin - But why, particularly if he decides on a five speed, which he should. I have no experience with that part of a Lark but because a four speed was available most of the parts should fit with some body and linkage modifications.

A five speed would be a much better choice and then he could use a hydraulic slave cylinder or throw out bearing which most of them are set up for.

As far as a flimsy setup there's little difference between an Avanti's and GM setup's of the era. My T56 setup with the hanging pedals (original) and hydraulics seem pretty rock solid to me. 

Talk him into one with over drive and use hydraulics, much better solution than Z-bared 4-speed linkages. If there's more flex than he wants, add a brace or two to cure that issue and he won't need to worry about hot air blowing up his left leg.

JMO-Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Agree, the original Avanti/Lark suspended clutch linkage is a total POS and agree, he shouldn't replicate that.  

Also agree, it's probably easier to add a suspended pedal and convert it to driving a hydraulic master cylinder and a hydraulic throwout bearing.  He'll love the feel and the action.

Also agree, if doing a trans swap, go all the way to a 5-speed.  It will transform the car and the driving experience.

jack vines