63 Avanti R2 with no oil filter?

ranjo

Hey again.  Still learning about this car.  I took her to shop to get her on lift and change oil.  We found no filter at all instead we found a plug in the block. What the heck?  Anybody have any ideas?

Is it as simple as finding a base plate?   

Randy

block.jpeg

Edited by ranjo

Interesting!...(and let me complement you on this very clear photo)......I'd guess that the original engine from your Avanti was changed out by someone over the years, and an earlier (pre '63) Studebaker block replaced it.

'51-'62 1/2 Studebaker V8's did not have a full flow oil filter....If these earlier engines had any filter at all it would have been the 'bypass' type.

It looks like whoever did the work did retain your Avanti's original 'R type' oil pan, as I can see the bolted on breather tube that only 'R' engines utilized.

What is the serial number on this engine?...It can be found on a machined pad at the right front top of the block (as you view the engine from the front.)

That may be a Studebaker engine but it's not an Avanti engine.  It decodes to a 1955 or 1956 259 CI engine made in Los Angeles.

Edited by Gunslinger

11 minutes ago, ranjo said:

Engine number VL2338 stamped on block. Interesting is right.   Thanks for looking.

Randy

Hi Randy......1955 through 1963 Studebaker V8's which have an engine serial number beginning with "V" are 259 cubic inch engines.....When you see a "VL" it means that this particular engine went into a car at Studebaker's Los Angeles assembly plant.

If it's an EARLY 1955 "V" engine, it could possibly be one of the rather rare 224 cubic inch models.

Considering that Stude's Los Angeles plant closed after 1956, your engine is probably a 1955 or 1956 259 cubic inch model.....259's are very nice running engines by the way!:)

Edited by mfg

1 hour ago, ranjo said:

Engine number VL2338 stamped on block. Interesting is right.   Thanks for looking.

Randy

VL 2338 started life as a 259 cid V8 in a Vernon, CA (LA) assembled 1955 Commander.  You would have to investigate what changes have been done since then.  

You guys are killing me!   I feel like I have a counterfeit Avanti. I don’t feel worthy of this forum 😧

No oil filter makes me nervous.   More research to do I Guess.

Randy

Edited by ranjo

11 minutes ago, ranjo said:

You guys are killing me!   I feel like I have a counterfeit Avanti. I don’t feel worthy of this forum 😧

No oil filter makes me nervous.   More research to do I Guess.

Randy

You own a Studebaker Avanti and are certainly "worthy".  Your Avanti just isn't 100% original, many aren't.   Do not worry about no oil filter.  Just change your oil frequently.  

Just out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the 259 and 289 -bore, stroke, or a little of both?  Be interesting to see what, if any, machine work was done since it’s supercharged.   Mike

1 minute ago, Footer said:

Just out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the 259 and 289 -bore, stroke, or a little of both?  Be interesting to see what, if any, machine work was done since it’s supercharged.   Mike

Stroke - different crankshaft and pistons.

The only difference in standard engines is the 259" has a 3.25" stroke and 185 horsepower the 289" has a 3.625" stroke and 225 horsepower.

Your Avanti should have come with an R1 engine, 289", 10.25 compression, longer camshaft duration, dual point ignition and a Carter AFB 4-bbl and dual exhausts for 240 horsepower.

BTW, it's not unheard-of for CASOs to swap in 259"s and whatever when the original engine was worn out.  The alternative possibility is someone used the 259" block and installed the 289" crankshaft and other R1 parts.

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

45 minutes ago, PackardV8 said:

The only difference in standard engines is the 259" has a 3.25" stroke and 185 horsepower the 289" has a 3.625" stroke and 225 horsepower.

Your Avanti should have come with an R1 engine, 289", 10.25 compression, longer camshaft duration, dual point ignition and a Carter AFB 4-bbl and dual exhausts for 240 horsepower.

BTW, it's not unheard-of for CASOs to swap in 259"s and whatever when the original engine was worn out.  The alternative possibility is someone used the 259" block and installed the 289" crankshaft and other R1 parts.

jack vines

The heading states that it is an R2, not R1.  I know that it makes no difference as far as engine dimensions, just compression ratio and, of course, supercharger and horsepower.  I agree with the common engine exchange part.  

Yes, thanks for the correction.  If it in fact has a supercharger on a 259", it would be the second such fraud perpetrated on an Avanti buyer we've heard of.  Some years back, a Spokane Avanti member bought an R2 out of the midwest and it arrived with a stock 259" under the Paxton.

jack vines

Just a thought but it might have suffered block damage in it's past, usually not a good thing for the internals, but someone might have put it back together with the "right stuff", why not note the casting numbers on the heads and also determine the stroke before we conclude it'd just an older, smaller engine. It an awful nice car with a lot of money spent on it to assume the engine was just thrown in from an older vehicle.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas.  

This car belonged to my deceased Father in Law.   The family story is that he purchased the car after divorcing in 1964.  He lived in or near Salem Oregon for all of his adult life.  We have copies of Oregon registration as early as 1972.  This car was his passion for many years.  He was an engineer by trade and had a critical eye.  I can see him trying to improve the handling characteristics of the car by adding all of the suspension and brake upgrades.  It's easier for me to see him using a 259 block with improvements than just throwing in a stock 259.   I will continue to look for clues.  Bill left us with manuals, catalogs and such.  I have undated pictures from a car show in Cheney WA.  I also found and undated letter with a handwritten reply asking Dave Thibeault about a power steering conversion.  Incidentally, the car now has a nice custom rack and pinion setup.  To me the work looks to be quality.  Several mechanics who have looked at the car agree.  

Randy

Show.thumb.jpg.53729571f3a4ae875084961c432abc27.jpg

BldSht0007.thumb.jpg.b10dfa61075a7445fa264ee22c3c7895.jpg

Excellent appearing car.  It did start with a supercharged/R2 engine.   The rack and pinion steering is part of the Slick Street Stuff conversion.  

EDIT:  The production order shows a gray car.  Are there indications of a color change?  Do the body and Serial Number plates match and appear to not have been changed?  It was a SOLD vehicle when built and it was delivered new to Nevada.      

Edited by studegary

ranjo..Your Avanti is breathtaking!

As an aside, the early sixties were a time of 'HOT' cars being sold by all the domestic manufacturers, and Sherwood Egbert certainly had a BIG performance push on for his new Avanti!!

Be that as it may, I always felt Studebaker should have offered a more sedate version of the car to go along with the Hi-Po jobs.

A smooth running Studebaker 259 V8, with a small four barrel carb and dual exhaust piped through QUIET mufflers might have had considerable appeal to the car buying public...especially to female drivers.......259, power steering, auto trans, A/C.....What a car!!:)

Head casting #1557582 so that should be an R2 right?  

I also added 5/16” wheel spacers to the front wheels just to check steering and found that I could turn hard either way without grinding or rubbing.  I still have plenty of lug but will look into Wheels with the correct backspacing.

I did manage to catch the Slick Street Stuff website online and I agree that it looks almost identical to what I see on the car.  Maybe they have record and would be willing to share info. 

Yes we knew about the repaint.  Bill liked red!

You guys know your stuff!

Randy

Edited by ranjo

Went to the Slick Street Stuff website and there it stated the suspension system could not be used on Avanti's or sedans due to the starter being on the driver's side!