63 Avanti Brakes and Suspension

ranjo

Hello.  I have recently been gifted a 63 Avanti R2 4spd.  My father in law purchased the car sometime between 63 and 72.   Sadly there isn't anyone who can tell us exactly when he bought her.   She has been repainted at some point but we thought she was mostly left in stock condition.  She runs and drives well but the wheels rub on the sway bar mounts in front when turning hard.  It now looks as though the entire front end is new (aftermarket) including the brakes and hubs.  Does anyone recognize these brakes or any of the other suspension components?  Thanks for looking!

R

2a81d2a7-6498-499b-994d-13ca14eca2ad.jpg

7c1843c4-f1eb-483d-9cb3-1dcac2d162b6.jpg

51583483-dc0c-4450-a70f-efd5bc071e4e.jpg

a746fcc4-bc8e-4560-bb6b-ff9af9c79b9a.jpg

8adc0a9a-a82a-4cc9-9f45-327efc41c7e9.jpg

Edited by ranjo
add photo

It looks like the Turner Disc Brake conversion...a very popular conversion on Avantis and other Studebaker's of the era.  It replaces the original Dunlop/Bendix system which, while effective, is somewhat expensive and difficult to find modern parts for.  The Turner conversion...depending on when it was done...should have 1968-'69 Ford rotors with Chevy S-10 calipers and disc pads.  It's a very proven system.

The tube control arms are definitely aftermarket...I've no idea where they might have been sourced.  The wheel rubbing could possibly be from a too wide rim or possibly wrong offset to the rims.  Those are definitely wider tires than original so wider rims have probably been installed.

BTW...nice Avanti!  Welcome to the AOAI.

Edited by Gunslinger

Gunslinger, thanks for the information.  The tires are kumho p205 70r15.  I can’t find any numbers on the wheel itself.  The car sits really low in the front with new springs.  FIL may have used shorter springs.  I’m going to get her on a lift this week so maybe I can figure out what to do next.   

R

70 series tires of that size require a six inch wide rim.  The stock Avanti wheel is five inches wide.  A six inch rim should still fit ok if the offset is ok.

If the coil springs have been replaced the spacers may have been left out resulting in the too low front end.

I see a compete ball joint conversion , which would mean spindle update. Looks like nice work, probably someone ( later ) bolted on new wheels with the wrong backspacing, not hard to correct. If your studs are long enough, you can add a shim type spacer.Or change the front wheels, shouldn't need much . The upper A arms are standard type roundy- round ( circle track ) parts , many companies manufacture them. Speedway Motors would be a start. The spindles look forged , so could be from 1970-1973 Mustang. 

I think Gunslinger and Gary have scoped it out. The Turner conversion can be seen at http://www.turnerbrake.com/ Depending on the age of the conversion the caliper will be GM but there are two different ones. The rotor will be late 50's Ford.

Just Google slick street stuff, I'd post a link but the site is down. It was fine yesterday.

I think the stance looks pretty much 63/64. BTW very nice car.

Bob

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my original post.    I've always been partial to OEM type restorations but am going to run with the mods that have been made so far as

they appear to be well done.  Lots of little things to fix.  Boost gauge and clock are broken.  Everything else seems to work fine.  Temp runs at 190 (on the gauge) at 60 on the highway.   

I love the sound of that supercharger!   I don't understand it but for some reason people notice this car😈

• 3 years later...

I realize that this is an old thread! To me, it appears to be a Turner brake conversion. From what I can see, it is installed improperly. From what I think I understand, is in the turner conversion the caliper should be mounted in a rear position of the rotor. This looks to be positioned forward on the rotor. This could well be why the OP had issues withthebrakes rubbing the suspension.