Avanti Battery

RHO

It looks like you should replace the cable and end.  If there's a buildup of resistance from age in the cable or from a dirty cable connection on the battery weird things can happen.  I'd start with a new cable and end and have the system checked to make sure the voltage is in the proper range and not charging too high.

Make sure all connections are solid and secure.  Spraying some wire dryer on the battery connection and the engine block or frame connection will help keep corrosion form occurring.  

Those clamp on terminal ends are designed to be used as a temporary repair.  I am going to guess that you have corrosion resulting in resistance.  As said, replace the cable with a proper, new one.

OK, thanks. I installed that "quick release" terminal fitting so as to disconnect the battery due to a battery drain somewhere.

Edited by RHO
Clarification

4 hours ago, RHO said:

OK, thanks. I installed that "quick release" terminal fitting so as to disconnect the battery due to a battery drain somewhere.

I was referring to your other cable/terminal, not the quick disconnect one.

Nothing special, It's just like any ground cable you can find at a parts house.

I generally just buy the biggest cable they have and bolt it on. I make my own when it comes to mounting the battery in the trunk but I use soldered connections. The clamp on like you have is very susceptible to corrosion.  

I had corrosion in my positive cable running across the firewall to the starter. Couldn’t see it under the insulation but a new cable made an amazing amount of difference when it started the car.  Mike