I need a reality check.

Ron Dame

Albert Ross, a/k/a my 1963 ,R1092 R2/Powershift car has been a challenge, but I've won. But I am tired. Is Hagerty's value of $16,000 realistic for a #4 car? That's a bit less than I have in it, but that's the way things go.

Here is a quick synopsis of Albert: Original RS 1038 R2, which was just rebuilt completely. Supercharger works fine. Hog troughs  and frame are solid. Completely new/remanufactured brakes, from the pedal to the disc/drums, with a Turner conversion on the front. Steering is good, exhaust is old but solid, glass is good. I finally overcame all the crap that comes with a car that was poorly stored for 20+ years. Finally, everything works as it should, and it drives well. Well, there is no antenna, so the radio is unknown and the clock...it of course does not work. Glass is all good, and very little fiberglass work to be done.

Here is where it gets ugly like a moldy original Shakespeare manuscript: The paint SUCKS! But really awful paint isn't any more expensive to repair than tired paint. Chrome is straight, but worn and pitted. Maybe OK for a driver if you aren't very picky. The car sat for years outside, filled with water, and got really moldy inside. I stripped most of it, scrubbed the heck out of it, but everything needs re-doing. Dash pad is passable, but not perfect.

Here is my conundrum: It's a great driver, ready to go if you are blind, but as butt-ugly as it can be. It does not present well, yet everything it needs probably costs no more than if it just looked tired.

Is the Hagerty's value reasonable? How can I present this car for sale  better than any photos would suggest? What venue might be best to present it?

In general, it's really too bad that in the last few years an automotive 'strip and paint" has become so darn expensive.....Also, many old time chrome plating shops have closed (mainly for environmental concerns) and the shops that remain all charge through the roof to re plate bumpers, etc.:(

Not to be negative, as your Avanti sounds very promising, what with a solid frame & troughs, supercharged re-built engine, updated all new brakes, AND a VERY LOW serial number!!:o

Still, the $$$$$ that will have to be spent on paint, interior, and chrome to make the car "right" will be considerable, and frankly $16,000 may be hard to attain in its present condition.....Best of luck though!..... (Many collector car fans would like to own your car!:))..........Ed

The car does have promise. Using my labor, including painting, I estimate $10K will have it looking very good, but I don't have $10K or the desire to put more time into it.

I will probably put a flyer ad in Hemmings and see what happens before I go to auction. I'm not sure Bring a Trailer would list it either.

Re clock

Not sure if this will help but my clock did not work either until I sprayed some lubricant inside it.

It started working then. Things were a little dry in there causing too much friction for the fine gears/cogs to move.

pb

• 4 weeks later...

Hagerty's price is in the ballpark, $16,000  for #4, Fair condition, although it could  probably sell somewhere in the low $20k range. 

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

It sounds like your Avanti is a running, driving car with few if any mechanical issues. I'd say that $16k to $25k would be a very good, fair price.

I've been following your car at BaT. There I am oldone2. You just lowered the reserve which I would not have done. BaT often gets reserve and beyond. You have been getting reasonable attention. Avanti's are not hot at BaT, but are one of the best auctions to get what you want. There are reasons.

Hi DAPY, thanks! BaT and other non auto auctions prefer no reserve for obvious reasons, but there does seem to be a flurry of action when there is no reserve, or it is dropped. I was feeling good about the action so decided to kick it up. It was close enough to me reserve for me to risk. I'm getting close to break even, which is all I need!

Indeed it did sell! And there were two buyers pounding each other over the head in the last minutes. Hammer price was $26.250 for a #4 car. Yes, I am quite pleased.