Stereo upgrades

Forward!

Hi All,

Recently acquired RQB3144 and need to do something with the stereo.  Previous owner had installed a single DIN size head unit and put 4  box type speakers in the car (2 mounted on the floor in each front footwell and 2 mounted on the rear deck lid). I have to remove the speakers for sure and replace with something less aesthetically appalling.  I kind of figure while I’m at it,  I should upgrade the head unit as well.  I was curious if anyone had install details they would like to share.  I am particularly interested if anyone has installed a double DIN unit as the space would seem to be quite a challenge.  Thanks in advance!

As far as double Din, anything can be made to fit but it is hard for me to visualize how to get one in an Avanti dash without major surgery. If you want the screen size, get a single din with a retractable screen.

As far as speakers, 6X9's will fit in the rear package tray by cutting the appropriate holes if you want to go that way. You could put the front ones in the door panel but I refused to do that on mine. I built plates to mount 6 1/2" speakers to the door posts. They block some air flow but much better than cutting the doors. You could also mount the speakers under the dash firing down or use smaller speakers if you think they block airflow.

8XdqM5w.jpg 

kcYcBGV.jpg

Edited by Avanti83