(For Fun) Avanti Opinion Pole!

mfg

As time marches on, which of the following Studebaker Avantis do you feel will eventually be considered "Most Historically Significant"?

R-4130 (Egbert Avanti) This is prototype for '64 'square light' models.

R-5643 Last production Stude Avanti...And an R3!

63R1001 First production Stude Avanti.

R-5652 First (prototype) Stude Avanti...Body made of hand-laid fiberglass mat..... (Originally numbered 'EX2945')

Edited by mfg

R-5643 would be the most significant for me I think.  It marked the end of an era.  At the time the oldest US transportation company ceased domestic production and yet the product lived on for a couple more decades and is still an Icon. 

The first production Avanti...it led the way and defined the design.  The last...while historically significant in its own right and with the R3 engine and more refined details would be second.  Egbert's Avanti is certainly significant but was a production mule prior to his purchasing it so it, like the first prototype, isn't truly representative of the breed before sale.  What makes Egbert's car so special is that it was his.  That makes it significant to Avanti aficionados but few others would care outside of its financial value.

Still...any of the four mentioned carry value and significance more than the average Avanti.

4130 may not be the prototype for the square headlight surrounds. I know of an "EX" numbered car with a hand formed square conversion. It also has an R3 prototype engine. Midland-Ross frame, and a Saginaw steering box. Hand laid fiberglass body. 

My two cents........I agree with Gunslinger that the first production Studebaker Avanti (63R1001) would perhaps be the most historically significant.

However, in my opinion that doesn't necessarily mean it will become the most valuable. (But, that wasn't the question!:))