What goes first interior or weatherstripping??

dadavanti

Rebuilding a 1964 R1. Frame, body and engine are rebuilt. Interior and weatherstripping left to go. I was going to leave the interior until next winter, but I want to drive it during the summer. Can I put the door weatherstripping on before redoing the interior? Or does the interior have to be redone first?

Also, is there a way to put the outer window to door weather seal on with out taking the glass out of the door?

Thanks.

As far as whether you need to do the interior or the weatherstripping first, I think you can take your choice. The weatherstripping is cemented to painted surfaces on the door jambs and doesn't interfere or overlap with upholstery or carpeting in any way, as best I can remember.

Yes, I wondered about another way to replace the outer door to window seal, too. I could not see another way to do it. So I pulled the window out, following the shop manual directions. It really wasn't too bad a job and gave me the opportunity to do a little clean up and lubrication on the window related parts that you would not otherwise have much access to.

Sounds like you're really on the home stretch, with the hard parts behind you. Best of luck.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the insight!!

I started taking the window out of the passenger door last night. It doesn't look that difficult (knock on wood).

I will do the weatherstripping in the next month on leave finishing the interior until next winter.

Doug

If your talking about the weatherstrip that looks like a squeegee that rests up against the glass on the outside you may be able to replace it without removing anything but the old weatherstrip. It all depends if you can get the old one out clean. The new one just slides into the chrome. I've taken my new one in an out a couple of times sliding it out and sliding it in.

ErnieR

As far as whether you need to do the interior or the weatherstripping first, I think you can take your choice. The weatherstripping is cemented to painted surfaces on the door jambs and doesn't interfere or overlap with upholstery or carpeting in any way, as best I can remember.

Yes, I wondered about another way to replace the outer door to window seal, too. I could not see another way to do it. So I pulled the window out, following the shop manual directions. It really wasn't too bad a job and gave me the opportunity to do a little clean up and lubrication on the window related parts that you would not otherwise have much access to.

Sounds like you're really on the home stretch, with the hard parts behind you. Best of luck.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of re-assembling a '63 Avanti. The 1/4 windows retain four different pieces of interior trim. The 'B' pillar trim retains the interior 'B' pillar trim and the weatherstrip goes on the 'B' pillar trim piece. So, the interior must be installed first. Also, the rear glass gasket retains the interior upper 1/4 trim. The 'A' pillar trim retains the interior 'A' pillar trim with the weatherstrip attaching to the trim piece. (The 'A' pillar and interior header trim also tucks under the windshield gasket). The interior trim must be installed in the proper order with the weatherstrips unless you want to redo the weatherstrip later. Hope this gives you some guidance. Best of luck. Dave.