Parked Avanti!

mfg

The Avanti's parking brake was moved from under the dash to the console area in model year......?.......

1) 1973.......2) 1974......3) 1975....or.....4) 1976

17 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

I'll guess 74 (2) because I own one with the console location. Can't miss by more than one year.

Sorry Bob, 1974 is not the correct year!:(

Beg to differ, Not the best picture but notice the strange handle wrapped in plastic in the console of RQB-2123 1974 Avanti. 76 is not correct unless only an unauthorized one escaped two years earlier.

When I pull it the emergency brake engages.

Also the original ad from Ebay for the car. http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB2/AvantiRQB/74QB2123/74qb2123x0711.html showing the e-brake handle

cgQKmPh.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

Uh-oh!..Well Bob, you need to decide whether your Avanti is an "unauthorized one", or alert Mr. Fox that he GOOFED!....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!:o :D

The bottom line is this 74 was delivered from the factory to the original owner with a console e-brake. I spoke with the original owner when I purchased it from his son and the op said it was purchased directly from Nate Altman new in 74.

The ownership chain is unbroken so do with that data what you will.

I had it wrong...according to the documents I have it was during late 1975 when the change to the parking brake lever was made...at car RQB2263.  It was a Willys parking brake lever and at RQB2325 in 1976 they changed to a Corvette lever.  Why RQB2123 in 1974 has such a parking brake arrangement I can't explain.  Maybe it was a test mule for the new arrangement and Avanti Motors ran the line out of original parts while tooling changes were made and parts were sourced.

47 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I had it wrong...according to the documents I have it was during late 1975 when the change to the parking brake lever was made...at car RQB2263.  It was a Willys parking brake lever and at RQB2325 in 1976 they changed to a Corvette lever.  Why RQB2123 in 1974 has such a parking brake arrangement I can't explain.  Maybe it was a test mule for the new arrangement and Avanti Motors ran the line out of original parts while tooling changes were made and parts were sourced.

I talked to the owner of 2127 which is a later "last?" 4 speed (as mine was a 4 speed) 74 and his has the dash mount e-brake. So for whatever reason 2123 does has a factory installed console e-brake. It maybe the only one but it was factory installed. While 75/76 maybe the changeover 2123 was produced in 74 with a console e-brake.

We know they were all factory customs in one way or another so I'll let it rest at that.

Edited by Avanti83