What spare tire?

Chuck Lampman

What size spare will fit in the well of my 63? I'm running 215/75R15s on 6" wheels, and they are too wide to accommodate the spare tire cover. Looking at Ford donut spares, but with the last big Ford  discontinued after about 2011 or so, junkyard donuts are getting too long in the tooth to use. Looking at maybe a 165/80R15 on an original Avanti steel wheel, but I wonder if there its a problem with the TT rear end if the rolling diameter of the rear wheels are different. (of course, If I had a rear flat I could put one of the fronts on the rear, and the spare on the front, I guess. 🙂

The proper size is the original 6.70-15 on a 5" width rim.  That's what the tire well is made for and anything else won't fit properly and the lid won't secure flat.  Even some reproduction 6.70-15 tires won't fit.  The closest P-metric radial tire is P195-75R15 but they're not too easy to find and usually expensive when you do.

For my '70 I used a space saver spare from a Jeep and it worked fine and fit in the well with room to spare.  I had P215/70R15 tires on the car with 15X6" rims.  You are correct about using different sizes with the Twin Traction rear...it can cause problems.  You have to make sure whatever you use as a spare tire has the same diameter as the other tires.

Many people used a Chrysler product temporary spare.  A different size doesn't matter with a little extra work.  If you need to replace a flat rear tire, put the spare in place of one of the front tires and then put that front tire on the rear in place of the flat tire.