Sign in to follow this  
A83

Braking Concern 1983

I noticed my car brakes are not responding right.  Especially at slower speeds it seems to surge forward a little or at least not brake right away when I apply the brakes.  I tried to get the car to skid and it won't do that either.   I noticed a little white disk attached to the brake pedal arm with two wires coming out of it and a white tip coming off to the left that looks like a boss should be connected to it.  There is a black hose hanging down but the plastic part at the end of that hose does not fit over the plastic disk tip unless there is a connector of some sort missing.

Can anyone help as I am clueless here and don't want to get into an accident.

Thanks 

Kevin A83

I think that white disc is the cruise control disconnect. As far as the brakes, if you can get under it, look at all the connections and wheel cylinders for signs of fluid. One place folks don't look at often is the boot on the master cylinder. Any dampness anywhere could indicate an issue.

If you have Dot3 fluid, it could be worth the time to flush the system as over time it can adsorb moisture. If Dot5, it could be worth bleeding the system as there is always the chance of a small air bubble in the system.

Trying to upload a picture not working yet 

Thanks appreciate it.  

56 minutes ago, A83 said:

I noticed my car brakes are not responding right.  Especially at slower speeds it seems to surge forward a little or at least not brake right away when I apply the brakes.  I tried to get the car to skid and it won't do that either.   I noticed a little white disk attached to the brake pedal arm with two wires coming out of it and a white tip coming off to the left that looks like a boss should be connected to it.  There is a black hose hanging down but the plastic part at the end of that hose does not fit over the plastic disk tip unless there is a connector of some sort missing.

Can anyone help as I am clueless here and don't want to get into an accident.

Thanks 

Kevin A83

The brake vacuum booster could be the culprit here.......Also, make sure the rubber hose going between the booster and the carburetor is in good shape and not collapsing internally.

Thanks appreciate it.