Tu-Tone Revisited!

mfg

Concerning today's Two-Tone Avanti trivia question, there is only one example of this strange feature which I can think of....Can anyone describe that particular Studebaker Avanti?

(Were there possibly other examples of this?)

I thought I remembered a tu-tone Avanti on youtube.  Here it is.  No idea if it came from the factory this way, but it is black except for the orange roof and the raised part of the hood.  The video also claims it is an R3, but who knows about that?  Anyway, here is the link:  

16 hours ago, studegary said:

I am thinking that it was a Loewy special with the swoop over the windows a different color (and maybe the hood bulge).  

I believe that the black/red Avanti  paintwork, and the two-tone on Loewy's Avanti, were both done "after the fact"! (Only my opinion!)

The only Avanti I know of that left the factory with two-tone exterior paint was the official pace car Avanti  sent to Nassau, Bahamas for their speed weeks...It was painted Avanti Black with twin 10" wide bumper-to-bumper white racing stripes.

A '63 Lark Wagonaire was also sent there with a paint job identical to the pace car Avanti's.:o

54 minutes ago, mfg said:

I believe that the black/red Avanti  paintwork, and the two-tone on Loewy's Avanti, were both done "after the fact"! (Only my opinion!)

The only Avanti I know of that left the factory with two-tone exterior paint was the official pace car Avanti  sent to Nassau, Bahamas for their speed weeks...It was painted Avanti Black with twin 10" wide bumper-to-bumper white racing stripes.

A '63 Lark Wagonaire was also sent there with a paint job identical to the pace car Avanti's.:o

As an aside to this, many years ago I came within minutes of buying an original  Cobra that was raced in the Bahamas in the early 1960s. 

6 hours ago, mfg said:

Note the black wheels on both cars.

775505556_BahamasAvanti.thumb.jpg.2e3ffaba114102fb86dae32e41fe52de.jpg

This may also be from the factory.

558808750_AvantiatSebring.jpg.80e4198ad199a26b8217c42dc07d68d2.jpg

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, StudeNorm said:

One of the Bonneville Avantis had a silver paint effect along the flat portion of the front fenders running from the bumper up the raised edge and flaring out towards the windscreen.

That would  be this car the "Due Cento " . This photo was taken behind the Paxton building with the car sitting minus engine and transmission.

Bob Caser.

Due Cento.jpg