Interior side lights replacement bulbs

A83

Just had a bulb blow in one of the interior read side lites.  It looks like a bulb with a black end cap on each end.  Does these pop out and what can I replace them with?  

Thanks 

A83

Yes, they pop out.  I would be careful doing it as they can easily break and leave the bases in the prongs.  I forget the bulb number but it should be stamped in the end cap or you can match it up at a parts supplier like Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.  What I did with my '70 was replace those bulbs with LED bulbs I purchased from Amazon.com...do a search there and they'll pop up from different suppliers.  The LED bulbs are whiter, cooler and won't burn or discolor the lens and you'll probably never have to change them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Gunslinger , I bought and installed the led lights.  You were right.  Less heat so I am not afraid to leave the door open for fear of melting the lenses.  Plus the lens  covers mute the brightness somewhat to make a nice softer white light . Great advice and many thanks.

Kevin

• 4 months later...

One of these lights is burned out in my 63 Avanti. How exactly does one remove the light cover to replace the bulb? There are no screws or obvious clips. Do you just pry it off? And if so, from what side should I pry? I certainly don't want to bend or damage the chrome trim. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3751.jpg

Edited by Mid Mod Guy

It simply pries off.  Just be careful...don't try and pop it off from one side only.  Just pry a little bit from each side until it pops off.  If you have any, use a nylon or other non-metal tool just to be sure.  Such tools are available at most car parts stores.

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

It simply pries off.  Just be careful...don't try and pop it off from one side only.  Just pry a little bit from each side until it pops off.  If you have any, use a nylon or other non-metal tool just to be sure.  Such tools are available at most car parts stores.

Thanks! Very helpful.