700R4 in 1971 Avanti

RobertSuren

:DHi

Corrected my previous post....Sorry for the confusion.....

Installed 700R4 in my 1971Avanti.Need advise on modifying driveshaft & shifter.Would prefer to keep factory shifter but open to other sugestions.ie B&M.On driveshaft can I modify mine to accept 700R4 or do I need to purchase another.Have Dana 44 rear.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by RobertSuren
specified wrong transmission

Never heard of a 400R4...sure it's not a 200R4 or 700R4?  Regardless...I had a 700R4 installed in my '70.  You need a different shifter and shifter quadrant for the override automatic.  They look nearly identical but aren't.  You can get what you need from Nostalgic Motors...they'll have all the parts necessary.

You can have your driveshaft modified or buy a new driveshaft the proper length.  I purchased an aluminum driveshaft the appropriate length...the aluminum unit makes for less rotating mass and better performance.

If you want to have your driveshaft shortened, look up your local 4X4 shops. They will either know who does a good job or do it themselves. Also take the opportunity to replace the u-joints when you do the shaft. 

Around here, shortening the shaft, which you will need runs $180 or so with new u-joints. Parts are not an issue with 4X4 shops as Dana/Spicer 44's are one of the more popular units.

A bit of advice, ask the shop how they want you to measure the new length as there are a couple of ways. They will detail what they want for measurements.

4 hours ago, RobertSuren said:

Thanks Gunslinger.Where did you purchase driveshaft & do you remember about how much it went for? Thanks again

Bob

The speed shop that did the work obtained it.  I don't remember the cost beyond it was about $100 more than a new standard driveshaft.  This was about twelve years ago so the prices wouldn't be current anyway.