Removing Front Impact Bumper?

M&M

I have purchased a 1980 Avanti from California and had it hauled to me in Idaho.  It needs paint and seat covers. It has 49,000 actual miles.

I have questions about the impact front bumper and what some call a cow pusher bar. I would like to remove these but don’t want the impact part of the bumper to the frame showing. I know if removed I will need to install an earlier grill which I have no problem doing.

My question is : I am wondering if there are any tips or instructions for removing this impact portion from the frame on the AOAI site for doing this?

thanks in advance.

When Avanti Motors mounted the cowcatcher, they cut the front of the frame off, removing the radiator and front body mounts. You need to cut the frame mount off of the cowcatcher and bolt it back on the frame to provide these mounts.

Here's a post with my comments and pictures on removing the cowcatcher and cutting the mounts off it. 

You can repair the grill with 1/8" stainless steel wire as here. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?108265-1974-Avanti-Grill-Improvement or Buy a new one from our vendors

Edited by Avanti83

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my cow catcher bumper removed and the driving lights remounted to the two pieces remaining from the bumper.  No cutting required.  I did save the bumper and will send along with the car if I ever sell it, if someone wants to remount the shin banger.

The no bumper approach look nice, but many states require bumpers.  Check in advance of doing this.  

EDIT:  I know that the bumpers provide some, but little, protection.  Even if your state allows no bumpers, consider that this will limit the market when it is time to sell. 

Edited by studegary

I dont think there has been a car built since 1990 with a bumper...When I go to car shows no one even notices no bumpers except rare Avanti owners....most just think its like every other late model on the road ...At my age resale value is not my  concern ....good looks is ......BILL in Florida

IMG_E0068.JPG

The newer cars all have bumper bars.  They just have bumper covers over them.   My comments about laws and resale were not directed at you in particular, but to all in general.