Avanti Recall!

mfg

The Studebaker Avanti recall document ( 3/4/63--1963--7) was concerned with........?........

1) Seat belt mounting.....2) Hood latch springs......3) Trunk light wiring......or.....4) Brake caliper bolts

Edited by mfg

5 hours ago, mfg said:

The Studebaker Avanti recall document ( 3/4/63--1963--7) was concerned with........?........

1) Seat belt mounting.....2) Hood latch springs......3) Trunk light wiring......or.....4) Brake caliper bolts

None of the above.

The Service Letter is for the repair of loose hood lock dovetail bolts.

3 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

None of the above.

The Service Letter is for the repair of loose hood lock dovetail bolts.

Actually, the 'closest' correct answer would be #2, hood latch springs.:o

The dovetail bolts were loosening partly due to the weak p/n 1332073  springs.

58 minutes ago, mfg said:

Actually, the correct answer would be none of the above.

There is no mention of the hood latch springs contributing to the problem of the loose hood lock dovetail bolts.

2008669864_HoodLockDovetail.thumb.jpeg.64d8e692725cc5035c7b72b940a5eb40.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

Actually, the correct answer would be none of the above.

There is no mention of the hood latch springs contributing to the problem of the loose hood lock dovetail bolts.

2008669864_HoodLockDovetail.thumb.jpeg.64d8e692725cc5035c7b72b940a5eb40.jpeg

As someone who has repaired Avantis for many years, I can easily understand how a dovetail spring with inadequate tension can amplify the above problem.

I'd politely suggest that you interpret your service letters to the best of your ability, meanwhile I'll stick with the reality of actually fixing these beauties!....Ed:)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

12 minutes ago, mfg said:

As someone who has repaired Avantis for many years, I can easily understand how a dovetail spring with inadequate tension can amplify the above problem.

I'd politely suggest that you interpret your service letters to the best of your ability, meanwhile I'll stick with the reality of actually fixing these beauties!....Ed:)

Then how do you explain the fact that Studebaker did not mention this in the Service Letter and have dealers look for this possible problem as well.

Also part number 1332073 is not a dovetail spring, it is hood lock latch lever return spring used on Larks.

I would politely suggest you get your facts straight before posting.

That part number came from the Studebaker Forum, so it's really no surprise IF it's indeed wrong!:o.........(They had P/N 1332073, calling it the early black dovetail spring, and 1353929 the late yellow spring.)

Studebaker saw this problem and changed to a heavier spring....I see you don't understand problems a weak dovetail spring may create, so once again I politely suggest you stick to your service letters while I spin the wrenches!!:D

Edited by mfg

28 minutes ago, mfg said:

That part number came from the Studebaker Forum, so it's really no surprise IF it's indeed wrong!:o.........(They had P/N 1332073, calling it the early black dovetail spring, and 1353929 the late yellow spring.)

Studebaker saw this problem and changed to a heavier spring....I see you don't understand problems a weak dovetail spring may create, so once again I politely suggest you stick to your service letters while I spin the wrenches!!:D

Again, check your facts. Do you have a parts book? 1353929 is not a dovetail spring, it is a latch lever return spring. Page 164.

You tell me I don't understand yet you don't even know what springs are correct.

My family was a Studebaker dealer and I have owned my Avanti for 54 years.

I certainly don't need you to tell me  how to work on an Avanti.

Wouldn't it be nice if Regnalbob occasionally contributed something positive to 'AVANTI TRIVIA', instead of his constant 'nit picking' and seemingly endless criticisms?

With his wealth of Studebaker service letters he should be able to come up with MANY interesting trivia questions....but no, he'd rather sit back and leave the work

to somebody else.......and that, in my opinion, is really sad:(.........Bob, leave that SDC Forum mentality behind you!....Cheer up!:D..................Ed

Edited by mfg

On 2/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, mfg said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Regnalbob occasionally contributed something positive to 'AVANTI TRIVIA', instead of his constant 'nit picking' and seemingly endless criticisms?

With his wealth of Studebaker service letters he should be able to come up with MANY interesting trivia questions....but no, he'd rather sit back and leave the work

to somebody else.......and that, in my opinion, is really sad:(.........Bob, leave that SDC Forum mentality behind you!....Cheer up!:D..................Ed

You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions.

You can not accept the fact the Service Letter does not support you answer so you go on the defensive and  try and make me the bad guy by posting the above comments.

That in my opinion is really sad. 

2 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions.

You can not accept the fact the Service Letter does not support you answer so you go on the defensive and  try and make me the bad guy by posting the above comments.

That in my opinion is really sad. 

Well Bob, if the shoe fits................................:)

Edited by mfg