OEM versus Vintage Air - who has experience?

PackardV8

FWIW, I've installed Vintage Air systems in other Studes for which there were no OEM systems and repaired OEM systems where they already existed, but just never in a N-A Avanti.  Based solely on hand's-on experience, which would you choose and why?

jack vines

If you plan to use a Vintage Air heat/cool/defrost setup, I believe you will lose the makeup air through the heater that the OEM system has. I don't remember the a/c part of the OEM system, which as you know, is a separate unit using outside air directly.

What you gain is a more compact system that contains all the functions and the smaller more efficient compressor of the newer systems. While I know it's possible to use the newer mechanicals on the older system it just wasn't designed for them.

What did I do? Instead of a Vintage unit, I opted for one from Southern Air. It came with everything I needed to hook it up but because of the way I wanted to mount it and the plumbing I needed to buy a few more fittings. Pretty easy and inexpensive. You will also want to plan where to put the a/c outlets but you've done that many time previously. I blocked off the makeup air inlet to the old unit figuring the other vents would provide air if I need it in my 74.

The compressor is an easy job, as the adapters are available to replace the C6? OEM with the Sanyo one. I have mine converted to a 90's Camaro serpentine drive setup and there was an adapter for that also. 

The condenser is also a straight-forward install due to the way the radiator is mounted it leaves a lot of options on mounting bracket location.

Now the most important answer you want is how does it work? Well I haven't started it up yet as it needs refrigerant but I suspect it will be fine.

As a final thought, Vintage Air helps a lot as they sell a mockup unit which I'd strongly suggest investigating.

Wish I had better data on performance but thought I'd share my thoughts considering you know how the units perform in other cars.

Condenser setup

dRbLIIh-yk44WQ4GYfoEYOxmlu_rhAlhkcsMDcfH

Compressor setup with dryer installation shown. Hoses installed to utilize current opening to minimize firewall work.

g_gzwWWymKJwILBPubz11fJvmPkeN08ttwNXAL5G

Edited by Avanti83

Avanti83, maybe you could help me out... I don't know how to access the pictures you "posted". All I see is a big rectangle around a small circle symbol with a dash in it. Clicking that symbol does nothing.

One would hope for some forum instructions on accessing (and/or posting) pictures, but if there are any, I don't know how to get to them. When I POST pictures in a reply, the forum asks me to choose whether to upload the picture itself, or to allow the forum to just show a link to the picture; your post doesn't seem to have done either. I am suspecting your photos are hosted on a website that requires your personal (Avant83's) login.

Edited by WayneC

If you want to replace the old A6 compressor without changing brackets and hoses, Old Air Products offers a modern aluminum bolt-in replacement. It is more efficient and weighs about 20 pounds less than the old A6.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/21-2201hp-compressor

WayneC

Thanks for the input. I switched to using Google Photos a while back instead of Photobucket or Imgur. You're the first person that has said they had issues with the posts either here or on the other sites I post on.

I'll do some investigation and possibly start a new post with various third party sources later to see if others have issues.

I believe there are a couple of folks posting on the SDC forum using Google Photos and they haven't  had any issues I know of.

I use Chrome and Edge browsers with no problems, mainly Chrome for posting and surfing as a thought.

Now I can see your photos!

I tried bringing this thread up with 6 different browsers and could not see the photos (in your original post) in any of them. (Avast, Chrome, CyberFox, Edge, Firefox, Opera)

Nice looking Avanti!

Edited by WayneC
added browser names

Jim78,

What did you use as the vehicle?  Mine is an 82 with a 305.  The carb crosses to a van but I am guessing a Camaro setup would be more appropriate.

chuck

RQB-3553

13 hours ago, chuck said:

Jim78,

What did you use as the vehicle?  Mine is an 82 with a 305.  The carb crosses to a van but I am guessing a Camaro setup would be more appropriate.

chuck

RQB-3553

Mine is a '78 with the original 350.  The compressor is mounted on the left side of the engine.

LC07-1.JPG

Jim78,

I was asking for "How did you specify the compressor you needed?"  They don't list Avanti's on their site.  Was it equivalent to some type Chevrolet or did you talk to them with the compressor model number?  My compressor is in the same location.  

chuck

RQB-3553

On 2/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, PackardV8 said:

FWIW, I've installed Vintage Air systems in other Studes for which there were no OEM systems and repaired OEM systems where they already existed, but just never in a N-A Avanti.  Based solely on hand's-on experience, which would you choose and why?

jack vines

On 2/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, PackardV8 said:

jack vines

PackardV8: I have recently purchased a '63 Studebaker GT Hawk (289/4spd, no A/C) and am looking into installing a Vintage Air system. Do you have any advice and/or recommendations? 

Ray

23 hours ago, chuck said:

Jim78,

I was asking for "How did you specify the compressor you needed?"  They don't list Avanti's on their site.  Was it equivalent to some type Chevrolet or did you talk to them with the compressor model number?  My compressor is in the same location.  

chuck

RQB-3553

The old A6 compressor was used on a "bluemillion" different GM vehicles.  The Pro6TEN compressor is Old Air Products' modern bolt-in replacement.  The only real model selection is whether it has high pressure or high temp cut-out.  I spoke with them about my application and they recommended the HP version.  Other options are the finish (natural aluminum, polished, powder coated).  I would suggest giving them a call.