Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak Worked - FYI

A83

I have had a small oil leak from the oil pan that would leave a nickel sized drop over a period of months.  I was told the engine on my 83 would have to be pulled ( as the previous owner put a new engine and front end in the car - so don't know why it should  even be leaking) in order to fix the problem.  The estimated cost was $1500 to pull the engine.  I came across Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak at an Auto Zone.  I spoke to one of the workers and he said it should work and it is guaranteed.  Well I tried it and it did work.  You empty the bottle (about $20) in to the oil tube and run the car for one to two hours.  I took a 2 hour ride.  I checked a week later and the oil drip was gone.  The product works on all seals it comes into contact with.  

If you look at their website you can ask questions and view the various products.  Apparently you do not have to run the car for 1 or 2 hours all at once ( but once the hours are driven it should work) and can also use the oil stop leak in your transmission also or buy their transmission additive.  

Thought I would share for what its worth.

A83

On the '63 I owned many years ago, the R1 engine had some serous leaks when I first bought it...not surprising for a Stude V8).  I used a product call "Bearin' Seal"...don't know if it's still on the market.  It worked well...stopped most of the leakage and when the engine was rebuilt a few years later it was fine.

The products work by swelling the seals to close off any gaps.  While not ideal they do the job until proper repairs can be done.